Is it OK to feed raw pork to my chickens?

magistradomina

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
Where I live.
I know that cooked meat is OK, but what about raw meats? We have a lot of raw pork fat and I was going to give it to them in small portions, but I want to be sure that that's OK. Thanks!
big_smile.png

P.S. Our chickens are Australorps if that means anything.

From what I've read, I believe pork is the worst choice for raw meat since it generally harbours so many parasites. For people with health issues it is avoided for intestional reasons, even when cooked.

Last edited:
Trichinosis seems to be pretty uncommon in pork these days. I would have no problem using it raw if I knew the hogs were raised in a clean environment (USDA regulations are good enough for me) and not fed raw meat that could be contaminated. Freezing the meat at very low temps (below 0F) or for an extended period of time (20+days) also kills most of the species of parasite especially the one that most commonly infects pork and humans. All meat goes through my freezer before the animals get it. I would not feed raw pork from a questionable source or individual I didn't know well irregardless of handling.

Well, for what it's worth, my birds have been getting raw pork scraps for almost a year now, and to date, I've never yet has a sick bird - not one, not ever. They also get raw beef scraps, and considering I eat a spicy Thai beef salad which consists of raw beef, I feel quite safe giving some to my birds as well. Apart from never having a sick bird, none of them have ever had worms either, so going on my own experience, I take much of what I read with a pinch of salt. If you ask me, the biggest cause of illness in a flock is the meddling of human hands. The day I start having to deal with sick birds, is the day I'll no that I'm doing something wrong. Until then, I'll just keep on giving them all those things which some people say they should never get.
lol.png

I've also read on here that gapeworm is caused by eating earthworms, and etc. Well, when we have the monsoon season, my birds eat tons of them and never have they had gapeworms. I think many people in general tend to be a little paranoid about their birds. The minute there's a runny poop, the birds get treated for this or for that. Hell, we all get the runs from time to time, it passes, and then it's forgotten about. Honestly folks, I just leave my birds be, and what a trouble free existence it is.

Back to topic.................I would say you should go ahead and feed them whatever you want. Chickens aren't the smartest animals, but they're smart enough to avoid eating anything they can't eat - nature at work. Hell, when you look at some of the foods people eat ( artificial coloring, a million and one artificial flavoring agents, preservatives, etc, etc, etc.), I don't think we're really qualified enough to decide what chickens should be eating.

BTW................this is all just my own personal opinion
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom