Is it ok to have 2coops inside 1run ?

mrbillwej

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2013
I ordered a coop and it came looked a little small to me has four nesting boxes and enough room in the middle for probably up to six hens I'm getting 10 hens and I ordered another Coop with the same size I figured I'd put both in the same run and that they were just divide themselves up according to their pecking order. Any suggestions?

Depending on the coops, you could try to join them removing some walls and placing them side by side. This way you won't waste what you bought.
I did this when mine started squashing up instead of separating into different coops. I removed the nestbox from one and pushed the 'gap' up against the pop hole of the other. At night they still crammed into the one coop anyway, but during the day they used both coops. It was easy to do and it was easy to reinstate the coop later.
Eventually I got two Eglus but they cram into one of them - or half of one of them, on cold nights! For summer I want to put the Eglus back-to-back as one but I'm not sure how it will work.
There are now 4 little coops in the run, mainly to give more space at 1st and 2nd floor levels, and the chickens use all of them for their own purposes (sunbathing, nesting, chilling...). They seem very happy but it makes extra chores for me, checking and cleaning etc. in comparison with having one proper hen house. The run isn't wide enough for a big coop, but that's because the garden is narrow, so for me this is the best option.

I did this when mine started squashing up instead of separating into different coops. I removed the nestbox from one and pushed the 'gap' up against the pop hole of the other. At night they still crammed into the one coop anyway, but during the day they used both coops. It was easy to do and it was easy to reinstate the coop later.
Eventually I got two Eglus but they cram into one of them - or half of one of them, on cold nights! For summer I want to put the Eglus back-to-back as one but I'm not sure how it will work.
There are now 4 little coops in the run, mainly to give more space at 1st and 2nd floor levels, and the chickens use all of them for their own purposes (sunbathing, nesting, chilling...). They seem very happy but it makes extra chores for me, checking and cleaning etc. in comparison with having one proper hen house. The run isn't wide enough for a big coop, but that's because the garden is narrow, so for me this is the best option.

Attachments

• IMG20230317172746.jpg
    IMG20230317172746.jpg
    753.8 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom