Is it OK to leave my chickens locked in the coop for the winter?

I have a 30ft by 10 I wrapped with trap to keep out the wind chill then 10 x10 just covered and open.. I haven't had a issue in the five years I been doing it...
Depending on number of birds I think that is a fine step. The 10 by 10 open air gives chickens the opportunity to breath fresh air without the high levels of ammonia and other toxic gases that occur in enclosed areas. It additionally provides higher levels of oxygen and drier air in the winter, at least where winter is cold enough to dry the air like here in Illinois. Just all around bettef air quality, which is in my opinion more important than warmth most of the time.
Same concept behind why we ventilate coops so much. My chickens are out in the coop right now which is 4x8x4 for 7 hens to overnight in, and one 4x4 wall nearly all construction mesh allowing air to flow through the coop. Nearby fences and a north facing direction provide wind break so that there is not a draft through coop blowing on the hens. Its really just for protection, their feathers are for warmth, and there's leaves, head clippings, and hay for them to snuggle into should they need to. 5 of them sleep on the roost every night and 2 keep sleeping in a nesting box, but that's more of an integration/ pecking order issue since they are younger/newer than the others.

Chicken in the winter in the most
need for the extinguisher and the closure of

some ventilation outlets

12-21-2018 10-27-29 AM.png

Back
Top Bottom