Is it OK to put Coffee Grounds in the chicken run

nittanyxi

Songster
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Pittsburgh
someone told me coffee grounds were good for composting and that it was ok to put them in the chicken run. Is it ok for chickens to eat caffinated coffee grounds?

I think it's fine to throw them in there but I don't think the chickens will eat them. They will mix them up with the other stuff though, that's for sure.

They are nice when added to compost. But your chicken run isn't your composting area, is it?? Best to have a separate area where you have a compost pile... I don't know if the chickens would try to eat them, but it wouldn't be healthy for them to do so. When you clean the chicken run/coop/etc, dump the dropping and bedding into your compost pile. Coffee grounds are great to add at this time too. If you allow your chickens to come out for ranging at all, they can help your turn your compost pile. :) There are a bunch of informative threads on composting on this forum and on the internet, if you are interested. I highly recommend composting!

If you have used the coffee, the caffeine is pretty much gone. But I use mine in the compost bin.

Chickens will eat anything, even devoid of nutrition. Mine eat the larger wood chips in front of the shop. The ones about the size of their crumbles. No nutrition, but they eat them just the same. Of course, they eat the grains of sand and rocks for their crops.

Chris

I know you didn't ask but if you are looking to start BSF for the birds very wet coffee grounds attract them faster than anything else.

My run is kinda my composting area lol. I've put coffee grounds out there, they scratch through and ignore them best as I can tell.

Maybe we should get them to eat the grounds, then we could market caffienated eggs? If coffee bothers you stomach, just eat our eggs and get a boost! I'll bet they'd be a hit with the low-carb crowd lol.

My run is kinda my composting area lol. I've put coffee grounds out there, they scratch through and ignore them best as I can tell.

Maybe we should get them to eat the grounds, then we could market caffienated eggs? If coffee bothers you stomach, just eat our eggs and get a boost! I'll bet they'd be a hit with the low-carb crowd lol.

LOL! I had to laugh hard at this..

I'd definatly buy them lots and lots of them muhuahuahauha
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom