Is it ok to spank our roo?

Quote:
Sometimes my pullets nip me too, especially my legs, my Rhodies are the worst. They are also obsessed with toes. No one can come around with sandals on or they will bite their little piggies! I have one Rock who likes to sit on my shoulder and nip my hair. Anyway, if they keep it up I pinch them in the arse!! It's fun too because whenever I do they jump up and "BWAWK".
big_smile.png

Chicken.Lytle :

Quote:
IMHO, that is not a humane way to handle a chicken.

then what is your suggestion? we did it, it worked. haven't you ever been on a merry go round? was it cruel?​

Quote:
IMHO, that is not a humane way to handle a chicken.

then what is your suggestion? we did it, it worked. haven't you ever been on a merry go round? was it cruel?

I was never spun around by my legs. That is the part I find distasteful, but your chicken, your rules.

My suggestion is to use social pressure. When you need shock and awe, either isolate the rooster or pick him up and hold & pet him in front of all the rest of the chickens. Once you have knocked him down a peg, stalk him at a speed walk. Make him feel the way you would feel if a black SUV followed you everywhere as you tried to evade it. Do this for 5-10 minutes at first. Once he is sufficiently intimidated, a few seconds of intimidation every time you see him will keep him in check.

If he keeps challenging (without cause) after thorough intimidation, then remove him from the flock by any means you find appropriate (the BYC consensus seems to be dumplings).

Using this method, you can rehabilitate a salvageable rooster and train future cockerels to be reliable Beta roosters. All this with minimal physical contact and nothing that would embarrass you if you ran for governor.

Pick up the roo and pet him in front of the others!?

I know what it is like when I pick up a nine week old Rhodie that doesn't want to be held, I can't imagine a full grown roo. IMHO that sounds like a good way to get hurt. I still advocate a swat with a straw broom when he gets too big for his britches and I don't see how that is inhumane at all. What's the alternative?

Quote:
Good point. It is easiest to catch him at night on the roost or chase him into the coop and corner him there. This is why I prefer isolation over holding for shock and awe.

There are other ways to give immediate negative feedback. Spray in the face with water. Light physical contact (swat or shove) to cause offense as opposed to pain.

You can skip shock and awe entirely. Go straight to stalking. The speed walk stalking thing is like magic. You are much bigger than a rooster so it has a major psychological impact on a rooster.

Last edited:
This has got to be the funniest thing I have read on here. The replies not the question. But I do have to agree eating him or adopting him out would be best. I think any time of aggression just leads to more aggression. I have not had my roosters long (6 mos) but I have noticed lately they are feeling thier oats and getting mean. (even though they were raised together) So I am seperating everyone this weekend.

I also had good luck with picking up my GLW roo, laying him gently on his back and holding him there in front of everyone petting him. I should mention that I put on thick leather garden gloves first...
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom