Is it ok to switch 16 week old pullets to laying feed?

AnimalLover1321

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2020
I have two 16 week old Isa Brown pullets, and two 16 week old Sapphire Gem pullets that I'm wondering if I can go ahead and switch to laying feed? I've heard people say yes you can switch them to layer feed at 16 weeks old with no problems, and I've also heard people say no, wait until they're 18 weeks old or until the first egg is laid because the high calcium levels isn't good for them and can cause problems if they haven't started laying yet. So can you switch to layer feed at 16 weeks, or should you wait? Thanks

I have two 16 week old Isa Brown pullets, and two 16 week old Sapphire Gem pullets that I'm wondering if I can go ahead and switch to laying feed? I've heard people say yes you can switch them to layer feed at 16 weeks old with no problems, and I've also heard people say no, wait until they're 18 weeks old or until the first egg is laid because the high calcium levels isn't good for them and can cause problems if they haven't started laying yet. So can you switch to layer feed at 16 weeks, or should you wait? Thanks
Not until you get an egg. And not a day before. :)

I know ISA Browns are early layers, I don't know about SGs.
I would wait till 18 weeks, but if one of each are squatting when you put your hand over them and their combs and wattles are red and swollen, then go for it. Put out a container of Oyster Shells now.
Here's some info on a pre lay diet.
20200718_150442_resized.jpg
20200718_134026_resized.jpg

So if you mix a Layer feed with the Starter-Grower feed 50/50 you'll be around 2.5 to 3% Calcium.
Nutrena recommends switching to layer feed at 16 weeks. Purina 18 weeks, but no earlier than 2 weeks before first egg.
It's very difficult to predict exactly when a pullet will lay.
I don't feed layers feed to my hens. I feed them a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower 18% or a All-Flock crumble 20% with Oyster Shells separately.
I offer Oyster Shells in a separate container at 15 weeks old. They will take as needed. 20181214_095753.jpg . GC

I know ISA Browns are early layers, I don't know about SGs.
I would wait till 18 weeks, but if one of each are squatting when you put your hand over them and their combs and wattles are red and swollen, then go for it. Put out a container of Oyster Shells now.
Here's some info on a pre lay diet.View attachment 2257369View attachment 2257376
So if you mix a Layer feed with the Starter-Grower feed 50/50 you'll be around 2.5 to 3% Calcium.
Nutrena recommends switching to layer feed at 16 weeks. Purina 18 weeks, but no earlier than 2 weeks before first egg.
It's very difficult to predict exactly when a pullet will lay.
I don't feed layers feed to my hens. I feed them a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower 18% or a All-Flock crumble 20% with Oyster Shells separately.
I offer Oyster Shells in a separate container at 15 weeks old. They will take as needed.View attachment 2257410.
I've actually miscounted and they're 17 weeks old. Here lately though they've been eating oyster shells like crazy and they prefer my full grown hens layer feed over their starter/grower feed. They'll be 18 weeks next week so I'll probably switch them then since their combs and wattles are turning bright red and filling out also. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom