Is it ok to take 2 chicks from hen that has 6 to give to hen...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Donna in Montana, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Donna in Montana

Donna in Montana Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    ... that has none?

Let me explain.

Jill laid seven eggs in our lean-to the end of June. I had told hubby I really wanted to see her babies so I took her eggs and put them into my incubator. She didn't lay any more eggs in the lean-to or anywhere else I know of. She wasn't sitting on them and I didn't want them to go bad. Maybe she WAS accumulating them, I don't know. She hasn't been a mom yet.

Brown Hen: Started sitting on one egg in coop box when I started my incubator and was faithful about sitting. My intention was always to give her the chicks to raise. Three days before hatching Jill decides to start 'sitting' in box next to Brown Hen but no eggs under her.

Hubby tried dunking butt/tummy of Jill to stop broodiness but when I'd try to get her out of her box she'd fight me.

The night before last we put our 5 chicks in with Brown Hen (who come to find out had hatched her one egg at the same time) after discussing about giving Jill a couple of chicks. We (hubby) didn't think we should because of her short broody time. Brown Hen is doing great job of mothering.

Now, this afternoon I went out to give chicks fresh water and Jill and BH were fighting over chicks. Jill jumped over mom to get to chicks who were in coop corner. I finally helped get Jill out in the pen and BH took chicks but I am feeling so guilty about Jill not having ANY of HER babies!!!

I don't know how well chickens can count.. ☺ Jill would probably be a fine mom. Her mother (Oreo) and sisters have all been great moms.

Do you think BH would fight to get those two chicks back (we would move them tonight if Jill was in her box) or do you think Jill would just become Mom to the babies and everyone would go on their merry way??

Any opinions or knowledge about how this would work will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. banks

banks Chillin' With My Peeps

I have no experience in this matter but it would make sense to me that if you want Jill to raise some of her chicks then by all means give them to her and see how it goes. You can always return them to BH if if does not work out. Worth a try anyway.

3. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Poor Jill, she wants to be a momma too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by