Is it ok ??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sambia62, Nov 17, 2011.

1. sambia62

sambia62 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2011
    I went to buy feed today and noticed tat the egg pellets were cheaper than the chops and scratch that I have been feeding my girls they are almost 5 months old is it ok to go a head and start them on layer pellets now ? although they aren't actually laying will it hurt any thing

2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    It should be fine. At 5 months, they even might start laying soon, depending on the breed.

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Yeah, should be okay! Mine started laying at four months old, so as buster said they might be starting soon.
    Our youngest lot started on layer feed around two months old because they never ate their own food when the big girls had theirs. [​IMG]
    Didn't do them any harm. [​IMG]

4. flockof4

flockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2010
    Webster Groves, MO
    Should be fine. Enjoy those eggs.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

You've been feeding them scratch?

6. sambia62

sambia62 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2011
    yes I was feeding them scratch i know every one says that its is a treat but the old farmers around here who have had chickens longer than I have been alive have done it for years so I thought oh ! well and so far i have not lost one single chicken (knock on wood ) that's just like the potato peel myth and a few other things I have read on here people laugh at me when I tell them about some of the things I have learned from old farmers but you know there is something to be said about the old ways [​IMG]

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:You read my mind. If you've been feeding them scratch, ANY type of real chicken food is an improvement.

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

As an old farmer myself, ...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

If the birds had access to excellent, rich, ranging territory, filled with seeds, berries, worms, bugs, grubs, grasses and such, they can survive quite well on supplemental scratch grains. But, they will often mature more slowly and can sometimes fail to be as large and developed as they could have been.

Birds confined or allowed limited ranging in a weaker environment can survive on scratch, but there's a huge difference in surviving and thriving. Given the meager price difference in a 50# of scratch and 50# bag of balanced feed, I choose the feed, hands down. FWIW.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by