Is it okay for a chicken to scratch/itch by there necks like dogs?

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
I was doing my night time routine and my silkie started to itch/scratch near her neck and then my buff did the same thing after. I was check and trying to see if they had lice or mites or anything and I didnt see anything. Tomrrow I'm going to get a closer look but is it okay for them to do that? Sorry I'm the new time chicken owner first year and get worried alot😂

yes, it's perfectly normal. my chickens do it all the time, and as far as I know they have no mites haha. they were probably just relieving an itch, though maybe check for mites to be safe :)

Okay thank you all! And yes tomrrow I'm just gonna check in case and so they get used to me check in between there feathers.

My Bug Check notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

My Bug Check notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008
Thank you. I will !!!

Back
Top Bottom