Is it okay for a chicken to scratch/itch by there necks like dogs?

Annalyse

Songster
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
I was doing my night time routine and my silkie started to itch/scratch near her neck and then my buff did the same thing after. I was check and trying to see if they had lice or mites or anything and I didnt see anything. Tomrrow I'm going to get a closer look but is it okay for them to do that? Sorry I'm the new time chicken owner first year and get worried alot😂

angela hernandez

Songster
Jun 8, 2019
Texas
yes, it's perfectly normal. my chickens do it all the time, and as far as I know they have no mites haha. they were probably just relieving an itch, though maybe check for mites to be safe :)

Annalyse

Songster
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
Okay thank you all! And yes tomrrow I'm just gonna check in case and so they get used to me check in between there feathers.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Bug Check notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Annalyse

Songster
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
My Bug Check notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008
Thank you. I will !!!

Top Bottom