Is it Okay for Chicks to Eat Laying Crumbles?

I have roughly 30-40 adult birds and many little ones.

That is right, Fertrell sells 60 lb bags of nutri-balancer, and 50 lb bags of aragonite (mollusk shells, a calcium supplement) though I've had my bag of NB for almost two years now, for you don't need much of it. Other then that, it is oats, corn and soybean meal for layer, and all of that plus fish meal for grower, broiler grower and starter.

I mix feed in 5 to 20 batches weekly or as needed.

I have ages from 2 months-5 years together and they all love their starter. I keep starter available and the young ones will also eat the layer and everything that is thrown their way. They are big, strong and I have done this for all my birds for 5 years. None have developed any health problems and seem to regulate what they want to eat. Yesterday I brought home turkey/game bird for a treat and they all went crazy for it and couldn't eat it fast enough. I change food all the time and they are also fed all sort of seeds and grains. They free range my whole property and eat all day long. I don't think it is a problem as long as they have starter available to choose from first. My old girls love starter too. My thought is if you offer a huge variety of food, they will be healthier. Everyone comments on how beautiful my birds are, and yes spoiled too.

Quote:
John you have been very helpful. My dyslexia is working overtime in trying to understand all of the details. If your mixing your own, you must start from scratch (no pun intended) with sacks of corn; soy; oats etc. where are you getting your main ingredients? Some owners really seem to object to soy, but it's one of the primary ingredients in this mix as well as commercially made feed- it seems necessary. I really appreciate your time, thanks again-by the way what breeds of birds are you raising? CC

My chicks are 8 weeks old. The stores are all out of the chick starter, so I got all flock, but it's pellets. The only store open until tomorrow only has layer crumbles. What should I do?

My chicks are 8 weeks old. The stores are all out of the chick starter, so I got all flock, but it's pellets. The only store open until tomorrow only has layer crumbles. What should I do?
Do they have gamebirdvor meat bird crumbles? You can run the pellets through a blender or put them in a baggie and wack them with a rolling pin.

Back
Top Bottom