Is it okay for hen to live by herself?

Hannah1234

In the Brooder
May 20, 2017
I sadly had to put down one of my two 7 year old americauna hens. I’m devastated, but it was the right thing to do so that she didn’t suffer from cancer. My hen Clea is now our last girl left. Is she okay to live by herself without flock mates? I imagine she is scared since she has never been alone and now has to watch for predators by herself. I’d like to see if there is an older hen or new chicks we could get to give her company, but my family does not want to get more hens.

Has anyone faced this before? Is it unkind to allow her to live alone? Or would it be more stressful for her at 7 years of age to have 2 young pullets introduced?

That’s a tough place to be in. While they are simple-minded animals, they do seek companionship just like we do. I’d rather have the chance to make a new friend than not. This is just my opinion, but at 7 years she likely won’t live a lot longer without companionship.

Could be tough either way, as she's older. They're social animals, but if you don't want more chickens and can spend a lot of time with her, that might be the better option vs rehoming her (very stressful) or trying to get her to adapt to some new chicks. If you can get another chicken, and can find another old gal like her, that would possibly be an option too.

If you truly don't want more hens then leaving her alone is really your only option, but isn't ideal. If you decide you want more chickens I would consider juvenile pullets, old enough to take care of themselves but not old enough to bully your elderly lady. You could get only 1 or 2. They could be companions but then you'll have them for the next few years. Tough decision.

Could be tough either way, as she's older. They're social animals, but if you don't want more chickens and can spend a lot of time with her, that might be the better option vs rehoming her (very stressful) or trying to get her to adapt to some new chicks. If you can get another chicken, and can find another old gal like her, that would possibly be an option too.
I personally do want more chickens, but it’s my family that isn’t on the same page. Do you think the chicks could live outside with her if she adopts them? Or would they need to stay inside for a few months before going outside as usual?

If you truly don't want more hens then leaving her alone is really your only option, but isn't ideal. If you decide you want more chickens I would consider juvenile pullets, old enough to take care of themselves but not old enough to bully your elderly lady. You could get only 1 or 2. They could be companions but then you'll have them for the next few years. Tough decision.
Do you think juvenile pullets or getting chicks would be a better option? Trying to get my family on the same page with getting her some companionship because I do not think she is happy right now and is scared.

I personally do want more chickens, but it’s my family that isn’t on the same page. Do you think the chicks could live outside with her if she adopts them? Or would they need to stay inside for a few months before going outside as usual?
You could set up an in coop brooder-get a place in the coop that you can wall off with hardware cloth, and get some extension cords and wire a heating plate so that it is heating properly. She will not adopt and raise the chicks, but she will be more ok with them if they've been raised near her.

Do you think juvenile pullets or getting chicks would be a better option? Trying to get my family on the same page with getting her some companionship because I do not think she is happy right now and is scared.
I would go with the juvenile pullets. Less work and stress for you and I think she might take to older ones quicker than baby chicks. Older ones would be able to live outside too without a brooder lamp and all that. Several hatcheries will sell only 1 or a few juveniles, although I would be very wary of ordering through the post office these days. Thousands of chicks have died because of the clog up in the PO. It there's a hatchery or breeder near you, getting them in person is best. Bio security is a concern and you might want to have them in a crate for a see/no touch time, but since she's older that may not be a huge concern for her. In the meantime try putting a mirror where she can see it. That might keep her entertained so she doesn't miss her coop mate so much. Good luck!

Do you think the chicks could live outside with her if she adopts them? Or would they need to stay inside for a few months before going outside as usual?

She likely won't "adopt" them unless she goes broody.

I raise my chicks outside at 2-3 days old. So if you set up for it they don't ever have to be inside the house.

Not sure what your set up is like, but this is how I brood outdoors and integrate early: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

Back
Top Bottom