is it okay to let 4wk chicks in run during day? (picture)

katiekuj

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
We are having 75-80 degree weather, chicken coop will be finished this weekend. We are having a problem with a chicken plucking feathers off my other two, so I was thinking maybe if I started putting them in the run during the day, they might have more to keep them occupied, thus less plucking going on. I would to continue keep them under the heat lamp at night. I'm feeling really desperate to stop this plucking problem and I don't know what else to try besides give them more space and things to do. They are on a medicated chick starter so I'm assuming the protein levels would be right, and we are giving them 1-2 eggs a week.

Do you think that 4 week old chicks would do okay in their run during the day if the weather is warm? below is a picture of our coop (work in progress), the chicks would be in the fenced in area at the bottom.

86173_april_2011_36_mo_16_mo_004.jpg

yep. they should be fine. i would only let them in there during the day and make sure it is at least 75 out. there is no reason they need to stay inside all day if it is that warm out and they are 4 weeks old.

I'm in Anaheim Ca and I put our 4 1/2 week olds out on the nice days. I just make sure that I bring them back in when there is no more sun in their run.

I put mine outside full time when they were about 2-3 weeks old. I got chicks in 3 different batches a week or so apart. I put them out 1 batch at a time. The first evening I had to go out and round up a few strays each time and put them in the shed under the heat lamp with the rest, but after that, they find their way just fine. I haven't actually seem him do it, but I suspect my rooster rounds them up when he rounds up his ladies. I haven't had any problems with my adult chickens and the babies (I know I'm very lucky!) but they've all been fine. I have definitely seen him run over to stand guard over the little chickies after he gives his "HAWK!" warning call. I've been pleasantly surprised by my new rooster. Our old one was a meanie who tried to kill any new chicks. I do live in NC, though. It wasn't very warm today, I guess highs in the upper 60's lower 70's and all of my chicks were playing the yard as usual. They know when they're cold and find their heat lamp.

I started letting my chicks play outside in the run at a little over 2 weeks old. It has been in the 80's. They seem to love being outside.

It's perfectly okay.

Once you see a mama hen out with her week old chicks in the snow, you'll realize they're not as delicate as they seem.

Quote:
X2

No snow here, but I've seen 3 DAY olds out with mama in 40 degree windy weather, happy as clams. They did run under mama to get warm from time to time. If it's over 70 the brand new chicks will only go under mama at night.

Back
Top Bottom