Is it okay to wet starter?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MagsC, Sep 13, 2008.

1. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I am finding out that wetting the starter for new chicks a little sure helps them to eat.
    Does anyone else do this, and as long as they eat it within a shorter period of time, is this okay to do?

2. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    i have never done that... not sure.. i thought that the bag says if wet or infested with bugs do not feed. but i am not sure.

3. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I was just curious, when I give it to them wetter they are absolutely ravenous for it!

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Its fine. But I wouldnt leave it out for more than 12 hours. After that, throw it away and put new starter out.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I've never tried it either. I just left the crumbles and water out and never had a problem.

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    My Dutch Banty wasnt eating as well until I wet it some. The little mixed layer is a pig for the wet food.[​IMG]
    Thats what I was thinking, give in smaller amounts and dont leave any longer than 12 hours.
    Maybe when the bag says "dont give if wet" it could be because they have no idea how long it has been damp?

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* You can feed the chickies wet mash, however, the stuff turns bad REALLY fast, once it's been wet (especially here in 8O-9O degree heat) and "turned" food can make them sick and even kill them. Pick it up as soon as they are done eating and wash the feeder, too.

8. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    It's perfectly fine, but as everyone else said, get rid of it quickly. Our little silkie who was lagging behind got starter and goat milk mixed together, and I know a lot of people mix yogurt with it too.

9. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I feed my new hatchlings wet crumbles - they love it and start to eat before they are dried off or can walk. I wet only a little bit at a time.

I feed my older chicks and even my hens, ducks, and peachicks wetted pellets. They don't seem to like the pellets dry but when I wet them, everyone dives in. There's never anything left. I find if I feed it dry - it just sits there on the ground or in the bin untouched. But wet it and there's a shark feeding frenzy going on. Fresh wet feed can't possibly hurt them and there's a lot less waste. Yeah, don't wet it and leave it there all week but if you are only feeding them what they will eat at that feeding - go for it. It only takes a tiny misting to wet it - doesn't take much water at all to start to fall apart.

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I had to do that with my little japanese bantams for the first few days. They aren't big enough to eat half the pieces in the chick starter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by