Is it okay to....

yess....and no...

Yes, if they've grown up together and have already established a pecking order.
No, because of their size, they WILL be picked on and always be skittish and have health issues with open sores.

If possible, set up some sort of divider of net or wire to separate them to keep them safe from each other when and if you decide to raise both breeds.

good luck!

I've never had a problem as far as the size goes...I have all my poultry together for most of the day, and the boss of the crowd is my Silkie, Snorkle....

I'd be sure to watch them for a few days and make sure they're introduced properly if they weren't raised together. I usually will block a corner of the coop for the small ones so they can all get aquainted through the fence..
smile.png

If they are raised together, you should have very little to no problems. If you get them as adults there will be more fighting for a few months. I've successfully introduced new chickens to my flock without problems. I have never had a chicken with an open sore, and my Bantams don't get picked on any more than my standards. Sometimes you will get an overly aggressive chicken that will need to be removed if it doesn't settle down after a few months of getting to know each other, but I have never had this problem arise. I've found that Bantams are surprisingly feisty for their size, and usually will not tolerate being picked on.

My bantams are alot faster and can fly alot better than the standard. And I never see my rooster trying to mate with the bantams either. That has been my experience. Right now, i would not get any more bantams to my flock though, as I only have 3 standard hens and their backs are beginning to get a little sore. I think I need some more standard hens now.

Back
Top Bottom