1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it painful to lay an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mel'sChicks, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Mel'sChicks

Mel'sChicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    Conyers, Georgia
    Is it really painful for a chicken to lay an egg?

2. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    I think it's probably painful the first few times until they get more used to it.

3. tinabrat1

tinabrat1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    I dont know ive never layed one![​IMG] just kiddin My girls just started laying 2 weeks ago and they seem a little uncomfortable but it passes fast and then they quickly go about their business as content as ever![​IMG]

4. flymamma

flymamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    It seems with mine that the bigger the bird the less it hurts. My Red sex link's first egg was a big one and she is a smaller bird she squacks and carrys on when she lays , My RIR is a bigger bird and her first egg was small ... and no egg song or sqaucking at all with her first . She must have what my grandma called "mommy hips ".

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Probably not, at least for a normal hen. They are adapted to it and the pelvis is flexible, as is the duct and vent. Everything spreads, so to speak, to allow the egg to pass. Its what they do, if you will.

For those birds which have physical deformities or such problems, then it may very well be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by