Is it possibe to "over yogurt"?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FisherMOM, Sep 26, 2008.

1. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    My leghorn pullet is 5.5 months old.

She had a sour crop and is on the mend. It has been 2 days since I found her sick and I have been playing "Dr. Mom"

Her crop has finally started moving the food again and I am nervous about starting her on pellets just yet.

I have been feeding her yogurt and spinach mixed.

Is it possible to "over yogurt" her?

Before the TLC....

[​IMG]

2 days later...

[​IMG]

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Wow, she looks muuuuch better.

It's probably fine to feed her just yogurt for now, knowing that it's a short-term thing. The nutritional range won't be optimum but if it's what gets her from sick to outside, I say go for it. Clearly your nursing care has helped!

3. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    thanks.

I put some layer pellets in a small bowl and added water so that they were mushy tonight. She ate it up.

No more food for her tonight.
    I will check her crop in the AM and see if it is emptying good.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    WOW !!!!!!! She looks so so so so much better [​IMG] !!!! What a good chicken nurse you are ???? You should come over my house and make my egg bound hen better ( I gave up, it happens about once every 2 months, she's old !!!!!)

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Excellent! I just lost my best Blue Orpington hen from sour crop (may not have been her only issue, though) a couple days ago. As far as the yogurt, it will just make some runny poop if you overdo it, but it wont actually hurt her. Seems to be the magic pill she needed! I'm so happy she's better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by