Is it possible? another homemade incubator question

LOL! yeah, thanks
tongue.png
I did measure, just forgot to measure the heating element. I got too excited and did not consider all the variables ... I do that a lot
roll.png

I am glad to hear they can be rebent. I could not see any reason not too ... but then again, I am also the one who built the cabinet too small ... so I figured I had better ask
tongue.png

Thanks!

Just wanted to report that the hatcher part (which will become the bator temporarily while I finish the top ... if it holds temp) is done except for a knob and weather stripping to seal the edge of the door (have to go get some parts, lol). I plugged it in after wiring it up and the indicator light and heating element work! Now I just need to get the aforementioned items from Wally World and see if I can stabilize the temps!

Jim, I decided not to paint it barn red ... yet. I have enough extra pieces of wood that I can replace stuff if it gets nasty, so I decided to make it a bit of an experiment and see how long it would last.

Once I get the whole thing done I will post a link to a picture journal
big_smile.png

Stop the worrying and trying to build a better mouse trap. I've come to the conclusion that buying a Dickey Cabinet Incubator ($540) is the answer....not fiber/particle board, marine plywood, hand made, great value and perfect quality....less money than GQF and eliminates trying to re-invent the wheel...the owner can be available 7 days a week as well. After hours/days of research on this subject, I find it easier to save my money and get a Dickey (his phone is 478-982-5515) When you call you talk to him, not some employee with a bad attitude.
And those white foam incubators, to much money for what you get...$100+ for 40 eggs, temp & humidity problems, lift the lid and there goes the build up of heat, not for me.........Good Luck everyone...I'm open as well to all donations for my incubator as well...
smile.png
big_smile.png
smile.png

I cannot afford that ... that is why I am trying to build my own with scavenged parts, lol. I managed to get her up to 93 degrees, but that is it. I am going to try adding a light bulb today. I will start with 20 watt and see what happens.

Alrighty then. I have a couple more aesthetic issues to fix and I will be posting a photo journal of my bator building. I had trouble with the hatcher (11.5" x 12" x 13" - quite a few less cubic inches than the LG styrobator I raided) coming up to temp. It would not bring it up (or hold it) over 88 degrees. I wired in a 25 watt red light bulb and it works great. Funny thing is, the hovabator heating element in the bator cabinet (11.5" x 12" x 17.5") works just fine all by itself. Of course, there is also a fan up there. I do not have a fan for the hatcher yet.

It has come up to temp and held those temps for 48 hours (hatcher) and 24 hours (bator). I set eggs in it and hopefully everything continues to work properly.

I spent a total of $4.30 for foam insulation for the gaps in the doors (done intentionally, not a design accident like the heating elements, lol) and pull knobs for the doors. Everything else I had on hand.

I will get photos and such posted within a couple days
smile.png

Yeah well, it took me 2 days to find the very hole saw!
tongue.png

And my dog died yesterday, so general lack of motivation all around (except for trading for more eggs than I will ever need at once ... good thing the bator is working!)

ETA: It will hold 60 eggs in the bator. Up to 30 in the hatcher.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom