Is it possible for 10 week old pullet to lay an egg???

ashleynicole

Chirping
Jun 4, 2015
South Carolina
I have a variety of pullets some Easter Eggers, a buff Orpington, jersey giant, golden and silver laced wyandott, barred rock, and a light brahma. I also have other hens that have been laying for at least 6 months but today I found a very tiny egg laying on the ground in the chicken area. Could one of my 10 week old pullets have laid this or is there another reason one of my other layers could have laid a tiny egg?

Last edited:
its probably more likely to be a glitch in the egg laying plumbing of one of your new layers - nothing to worry about.

CT

Hi - I just had my 10 week old pullet lay a really tiny egg! I absolutely know it was her because I have 3 laying hens and one lays blue eggs. Today, when I checked the nest there were 2 beige eggs and one really tiny beige egg so it had to be her! I know exactly how old she is because she hatched on June 6 (she is the little white with black splashes and is the product of my Americana rooster and Faverolle hen!). She seems perfectly happy and healthy but I'm a little concerned that she is way too young to be laying!

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

How old is your other beige layer?
She may have laid 2 eggs today....it's rare but not impossible, much more possible than 10 week pullet laying an egg.

Hmmmmm... The other beige layer is the momma faverolle and she's about a year old. She lays about every 3 days and has never done anything unusual but I guess it's possible.

Also very curious what makes you think the little one is a Cockerel? I confess I can't tell until they are a bit older so I'd love to learn the "signs".

Back
Top Bottom