Is it possible for a chicken to NEVER lay an egg?

Bedste

Songster
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Cut n Shoot Texas
My new to flock hen has now been with us almost a month. Because I was comfy with the family I did not quarrentine her the entire 30 days. She has been with the flock and happy and comfy for about 10 days. Will she ever lay an egg? The farm she came from had many hens all laying in one big wheel barrel so there is no absolute proof that this 2 year old ever actually layed an egg ever... Is that possible? If she is eating and drinking , sometimes free ranging and happy and one of the gang already then what is the problem?

sad.png
I think you could consider a rooster to be a chicken and they will never lay an egg.
lol
CAL
Jax, FL
cool.png

Well, i know at two years their egg-laying slows down a bit. But also relocating a hen will throw her off and she may take a while to get back to laying.

When we moved last year, i'm thinking it may have taken about a month for all the chickens to start laying again. i would just give her some time. i don't believe i've ever heard of an instance of a hen never laying and egg.

Could be a lot of reasons;
she might not be laying same place as others, could be younger than you were told or older than you were told. I thought they only laid eggs for a couple of years and then got very infrequent with the laying - Maybe she needs to meet a nice rooster?

Time will tell.
CAL
Jax FL

Thanks everyone that really helps a lot. Everyone else in the flock is younger 14-20 weekers. The only other hen is the bantam who is in child rearing mode and not laying. NO EGGS from anyone. This is a White Rock and I am anxious to see what kind of egg she will lay. I was told that she was 2 so she might be slightly older.

YES I have heard that from 6 months to 24 months is the hight of the egg laying production and then everyone slows down to an occasional egg here and there.. I guess that is why everyone is always introducing young pullets into existing flocks. I am learning so much from BYC and you are all so helpful!

Last edited:
Egg production slows as a chicken ages and if she lives long enough can eventually stop altogether. That's why you can often get 2nd or 3rd year hens for free or cheap from people who are serious "eggers".
smile.png

DadGummit. I did not realize that they actually stop. She looks young and healthy. I traded two young roosters for her. It was a good trade regardless because she is so pretty and calm now. She was wild and loose as a goose and afraid of everyone and loud and crazy when I first met her on her farm. NOW she is calm and relaxed and happy and chilled out. Even if she is finished laying I really like CRACKER the WHITE ROCK. I was so hoping to get one of her eggs before 30 days so I could stick it in the incubator. She had a White Leghorn BF.

O well.

Back
Top Bottom