Is it possible for a hen to never lay an egg?

bobby d

Songster
9 Years
Mar 10, 2010
Texas
Hello!! I'm looking for some answers, hopefully someone can help!! I have a Silver Laced Wyandotte Bantam that's at least a yr to yr and half old. Since we got her back in November she has yet to lay an egg. She lays in the nesting box like she's laying but never does. She allows the roo to do his thing too!! I'm just at a loss on why she's not laying an egg. Is it possible for a hen to never lay an egg? Do I need to cull her? I'd really hate to do that cause we paid a lot for her and she's so very pretty!!

the pretty hens think they're too good to lay
wink.png

I have an EE hatched in august who has yet to lay. She was sick as a baby and almost lost her.she does squat so maybe one day.

Yes it is possible. Hens only have one good ovary and if it is damaged then she won't lay at all. Can't say this is the case but if she's over a year and hasn't laid one egg I'd say she's defective.

Sorry

Rancher

I keep thinking maybe today's the day, ok maybe today is the day, ok REALLY!! LOL. I was wondering if it could be due to the winter however we live in southeast TX it's stays warm here most of the time. December and Janurary were pretty cold but we kept lamps on everyone. IDK..I'll give it a couple more months. I'm just disappointed cuz I was hoping to get some chicks off of her and the SLW roo. They are very beautiful. I might have to put the roo with my other SLW hen. Thanks for the help!!

Quote:
gig.gif
I'd have chickens running all over the place if they had a sip of my coffee. Let's just put it this way, I have coffee with my sugar..LOL
ya.gif

Quote:
Thank you for the link. That's awesome!! I guess I'll have to wait and see what happends in the next couple months. If she doesn't lay then something has to be wrong with her. Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom