Is it possible for a pullet to molt before she is a year old? pics

My delaware girls are just starting to molt. One looks just ragged and they have slowed down laying now. I'm lucky to get 1 or 2 eggs out of the 6 I have in that pen in the past week. Plus my only cuckoo maran is doing her best to go broody on me.

Last edited:
* Chook molted lightly JUST b/f she started to lay eggs. I don't think she was even 8 mths. old!!! ( Ed.: In fact, way younger than that, because I just went back and checked the dates and she showed up without even the start of a comb in JulyO7, so she's likely only 9 mths or so now, right??)

Last edited:
Now that I think of it I believe my Salmon Faverolles maybe starting to as well.She was looking a little ragged today also but I haven't paid her as much attention because she is one of the rooster's "favorite's".

The poor thing is going through a hard molt. I have one who is approx. 9 months old going through one too. Potpie looks like she's ready for the stew pot.
hmm.png
Give your girl a little while. Her new feathers will grow in and she will look like a million bucks!

* Hey, Carri-- Pro'bly heard me say this b/f, but a little flax topping on their food really seems to help when they're molting. The EFA's in it and extra protein make for fast regrowth and really nice feathers.

Last edited:
Quote:
She just broke from her broodiness about a week or so I think it may have brought on an early molt.I can't seem to get these girls off the nest around here.If one brakes another takes her place.I have a Buttercup hen trying to sit now.i didn't think they were that prone to being broody.

Back
Top Bottom