is it possible to buy farm land anymore?

fushalilly

Songster
11 Years
Mar 9, 2008
Rhode Island
Im still young, but when I get older, I want to have a nice open field big yard with some woods and a little farm house so I can live in peace with my chickens and animals. Where is it cheapest to buy this sort of property?! APPEARENTLY its not here in RHODE ISLAND because all I hear are complaints around here from everyone! If its "so expensive" here, then where is it cheaper?

Find an area that you would really like to settle down at. It's not a good idea to buy land wherever it's cheapest, you could end up being miserable there. Look at things like taxes, schools, and how long it would take to commute back and forth from work.

If you would like to stay around RI, look at land in neighboring states.

Kentucky
love.gif

Chickentoes hit the nail on the head, that is the real way to go, I did not do that and now i am stuck in Oklahoma.

AL

EDITED for language

Last edited by a moderator:
Travel as much as you can. Go away to school. Not too far away (saying that
for the sake of your dad
roll.png
).

Find somewhere you like, with weather you can live with, and a place you can
find a job.

You may find yourself moving back to RI when you're ready to settle down.
I never in a million years thought I'd end up back here but now I can't imagine
living anywhere else.

If you're not worried about children and schools, etc or resale value (because of people with school age kids) then you could go where land is cheaper. You're gonna have a tough time in New England, my sister's BF is going nuts trying to find something affordable in NH. I keep telling him come to MI.

He does love it here (he's hunted deer with my husband) he's just got this weird idea that he has to stay where his friends are. Gosh, if I'd done that, I'd have ended up alone, all my friends moved away! (grew up in MA)

Anyway, land in northern MI is pretty cheap right now, the economy is lousy, nothing is selling so prices are falling.

And instead of those miserable winter ice storms you get real snow, though oddly not as much as northern New England. Something to do with all these lakes I think.
hmm.png

Oh and I've lived in MA, southern Calif, and northern VA. I like MI best. Visited several other states.

We just sold a 16 acre farm in central Ohio. Looks like you need to go to the Midwest for land

we moved to tennessee and some land here is Fairly cheap, according to where you want to live.Best when you take a vacation, decide what you want Or would like in your retirement, like weather, and take a vacation there, only don't stay in the big city take in the countryside and talk to people, talk to people, talk to people, visit both winter and summer then you will get an idea what the weather is like, Good Luck and be sure to ask just what ALL utilities cost. marrie

Quote:
Agree totally!! Not that I'm biased or anything.
big_smile.png
Also you can keep your eyes opened for forclosed properties when you are ready. If it weren't so far from DHs parents we would have had 11 acres with a fairly new doublewide, but he thought it was extremely far out in the country. So we agreed on 1 1/2 acres a little ways out of town. Of course if we thought we'd have chickens then...

Back
Top Bottom