Is it possible to have 5 roosters with only 11 hens???

AtlantisPeeps

Songster
5 Years
May 19, 2014
US
Well I have 16 chickens. 5 are chicks and still a bit young to determine gender, but two are looking quite roosterish. Anywho, I started chickens this spring with getting 1 adult rooster and 4 hens. Then raised 6 chicks. Two ended up being roosters. So now I already have 3 roosters. No fighting, even though they are all crowing and jumping the ladies. So I got 5 more chicks. Like previously stated, two could possibly be roosters. Is it possible to have 5 roosters with only 11 hens? I have no one to give them to, and they are family, I cant just eat them. I don't, have the heart.... Ideas anyone?

Generally, this does not work out. Of course, every situation is different, but in my experience, that's just too many roosters. Your hens will most likely end up stressed and overbred when all of those roosters mature. Not to mention the roosters duking it out for dominance. You could keep them all if you build a bachelor pad and keep the roosters separated. (If you want fertile eggs, leave one in with the hens, separate the rest of them) I would suggest that in the future you have a plan for excess roosters before you start raising more babies.

Generally, this does not work out. Of course, every situation is different, but in my experience, that's just too many roosters. Your hens will most likely end up stressed and overbred when all of those roosters mature. Not to mention the roosters duking it out for dominance. You could keep them all if you build a bachelor pad and keep the roosters separated. (If you want fertile eggs, leave one in with the hens, separate the rest of them) I would suggest that in the future you have a plan for excess roosters before you start raising more babies.
X2. I had 2 roos and 6 hens and ended up with bald hens. I moved my boys to a roo coop. One of my hens hatched out some chicks in June. Now I have 6 roos and 10 hens. 5 roos are in the roo coop and 1 is in with the girls. I eat my extra roos when they get big enough. If you don't want to eat them you could post them on craigslist or something similar. Maybe someone else would buy them to eat. Around here you can sell a roo for about $10-15 to someone who wants homegrown chicken.

X3

X2. I had 2 roos and 6 hens and ended up with bald hens. I moved my boys to a roo coop. One of my hens hatched out some chicks in June. Now I have 6 roos and 10 hens. 5 roos are in the roo coop and 1 is in with the girls. I eat my extra roos when they get big enough. If you don't want to eat them you could post them on craigslist or something similar. Maybe someone else would buy them to eat. Around here you can sell a roo for about $10-15 to someone who wants homegrown chicken.
Around here, roos are so plentiful you almost have to give them away. The most I've seen a roo sell for (ordinary barnyard roo, not anything fancy breed-wise) is about $5. POL hens are selling for the $10-$15 range. It all depends where you live apparently.

We've talked about a roo at some point but figuring out the excess males is the main thing holding us back.

If you eat your excess roos, or maybe if you have a rare, highly desired breed, you can hatch all you want with no worries, because all of the extra roos (remember, there's a 50/50 chance any hatched will be male) can be placed or eaten. But for common, run of the mill roos, nobody in my area will buy them. If you can't/won't eat them, you can offer them for a few bucks, or even free, for eating birds. There are worse fates than a bird going to feed a family somewhere...

I would definitely plan for a bachelor coop, as your girls will most likely be worn ragged in no time, especially as the new youngsters start coming into their hormones.

Well I have 16 chickens. 5 are chicks and still a bit young to determine gender, but two are looking quite roosterish. Anywho, I started chickens this spring with getting 1 adult rooster and 4 hens. Then raised 6 chicks. Two ended up being roosters. So now I already have 3 roosters. No fighting, even though they are all crowing and jumping the ladies. So I got 5 more chicks. Like previously stated, two could possibly be roosters. Is it possible to have 5 roosters with only 11 hens? I have no one to give them to, and they are family, I cant just eat them. I don't, have the heart.... Ideas anyone?
You may change your mind once they start fighting with each other (or you) and gang breeding your hens. Find someone to process them for you, list them on craigslist or in your local feed store, or give them away. If you cannot part with them you will need to build a bachelor coop for the males. And as others have astutely stated you need a plan for excess males before you begin raising any new chicks.

You may change your mind once they start fighting with each other (or you) and gang breeding your hens. Find someone to process them for you, list them on craigslist or in your local feed store, or give them away. If you cannot part with them you will need to build a bachelor coop for the males. And as others have astutely stated you need a plan for excess males before you begin raising any new chicks.

Thanks everyone! So I have a plan now. I am going to get another coop, and split the flock. 3 roosters in one (whoever gets along) and two in the other, put 6 hens in one, and 5 in the other. If that doesn't work out, I'll make the second coop a bachelor pad as suggested. Thanks guys!
1f414.png

Back
Top Bottom