Is it possible to keep a single male Coturnix quail?

What should I do?

• Keep the bird

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Sell it

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Other (state below, NO CULLING.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
How do I keep Cinni happy in the meantime, until he is sold or I am able to hatch more birds?

Here's Cinni's temporary cage, I made do with what I had. She has a mirror next to it.

It's in my bedroom so I can socialize with her often.

I'm seeing if anyone near me wants him, but if they don't I'll just hatch some more of my eggs and hope they are all female.
do not do this. if you are not prepared to be rid of the males. at a 50/50 rate you will never be rid of this issue. I am so sorry I know it seems like im being mean but the most kind thing you can do for yourself and that bird long term is give it away or cull it. your choices are extremely selfish right now.

Frankly all of your hens are at risk. the other male is going to over breed them. young roosters breed like 8-10 times an hour during the day. thats close to 160 times a day. over 3 hens you are looking at over 50 times a day each. at around 4-6 months old they do tone it back but thats still a big stretch for 3 ladies to span.

do not do this. if you are not prepared to be rid of the males. at a 50/50 rate you will never be rid of this issue. I am so sorry I know it seems like im being mean but the most kind thing you can do for yourself and that bird long term is give it away or cull it. your choices are extremely selfish right now.
I was planning on giving it away, and if no one wanted it hatching more birds, but I would always have him on the market. I would hatch lots and be prepared to give them away, but only do this if no one wanted the bird.
Frankly all of your hens are at risk. the other male is going to over breed them. young roosters breed like 8-10 times an hour during the day. thats close to 160 times a day. over 3 hens you are looking at over 50 times a day each. at around 4-6 months old they do tone it back but thats still a big stretch for 3 ladies to span.
How do I prevent this? That's another reason to hatch more. I've been needing to hatch more for this reason, and thought that any extra females could go to Cinni if no one had taken him yet.

You can't hatch a straight run and not have to deal with the bloody reality of the males who don't factor into your setup. I think killing extras is more humane than sending them to an unknown fate, but if you're going to give away your male...what is keeping you from creating an ad for him on Facebook/Craigslist right now? The sooner your resolve the issue for your hens, the better.

You can't hatch a straight run and not have to deal with the bloody reality of the males who don't factor into your setup. I think killing extras is more humane than sending them to an unknown fate, but if you're going to give away your male...what is keeping you from creating an ad for him on Facebook/Craigslist right now? The sooner your resolve the issue for your hens, the better.
Im giving away one of my males, and waiting for one of my parents to do it. I will then either keep a female from the batch I'm hatching for my nan and pop soon, or buy a female from somewhere. There aren't many quail owners In my area, though.

Back
Top Bottom