Is it possible to keep a single male Coturnix quail?

What should I do?

• Keep the bird

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Sell it

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Other (state below, NO CULLING.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Oob Child

Crowing
May 13, 2023
I have a runty 6 week old male quail who I have to separate. I don't have anyone to put him with. Can the quail live alone happily, or do I have to give him away? I doubt anyone would want the poor little thing.

He keeps accidentally injuring his cage mates.

I've seen that many people have kept lone male Coturnix quail, and that they have been happy.
It's fine if I have to sell him, but I would prefer to keep him.

I would be able to socialize with the bird at all times, except for the 7 hours I'm at school from Monday to Friday. I would get plenty of foraging toys so it didn't get bored, and I could get my mum to visit during the day while she's home.

Would this work, or should I attempt to give the bird away?

Culling is absolutely not an option.

PXL_20230928_233632090.jpg
PXL_20230928_233617393.jpg

I have a runty 6 week old male quail who I have to separate. I don't have anyone to put him with. Can the quail live alone happily, or do I have to give him away? I doubt anyone would want the poor little thing.

He keeps accidentally injuring his cage mates.

I've seen that many people have kept lone male Coturnix quail, and that they have been happy.
It's fine if I have to sell him, but I would prefer to keep him.

I would be able to socialize with the bird at all times, except for the 7 hours I'm at school from Monday to Friday. I would get plenty of foraging toys so it didn't get bored, and I could get my mum to visit during the day while she's home.

Would this work, or should I attempt to give the bird away?

Culling is absolutely not an option.

View attachment 3647722View attachment 3647723
No he will not be able to live happily alone he needs other quail friends or you need to sell him. Keeping him alone would just be like you being alone and not having any friends or anything even if you do socialize with him daily.

No he will not be able to live happily alone he needs other quail friends or you need to sell him. Keeping him alone would just be like you being alone and not having any friends or anything even if you do socialize with him daily.
Ok. I'll attempt to find a better home for him, but I'm not sure anyone would take him.

Ok. I'll attempt to find a better home for him, but I'm not sure anyone would take him.
And if no one wants him you’re going to need to either cull him (I know you really don’t want to) or get a second cage with more hens. Your other male is also going to need a couple more hens with three it’s going to end up overbreeding. I hope you the best of luck finding your male a home

And if no one wants him you’re going to need to either cull him (I know you really don’t want to) or get a second cage with more hens. Your other male is also going to need a couple more hens with three it’s going to end up overbreeding. I hope you the best of luck finding your male a home
Thanks, I'll have to talk to my parents. They said no more birds, but I think they might consider it looking at the situation.

The problem with getting more females to put him with is that he is small, and almost completely incapable of mating successfully.

I've watched him attempt to mate, but fail miserably. He ends up just pulling others feathers off and being too small to mount properly. If he doesn't pull their feathers off, the female is flipped over with him.

The problem with getting more females to put him with is that he is small, and almost completely incapable of mating successfully.

I've watched him attempt to mate, but fail miserably. He ends up just pulling others feathers off and being too small to mount properly. If he doesn't pull their feathers off, the female is flipped over with him.
He will grow still the next couple of weeks he’s not full grown untill 12-13 weeks and if he’s still small you could always get him some standard hens so they are more his size.

Back
Top Bottom