Is it possible to mistake the sex of a red sexlink??

jamiestop

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 28, 2013
We got a red sexlink pullet at 6 weeks old...or so we were told. She is now 22 weeks old, not laying eggs and crowing like a maniac at 5:30 every morning. This is our first chicken so I know nothing! Is our SHE a rooster?? This is the best pic I could get.

The true red sex link is completely reliable.

However, here's where it gets tricky. People often breed birds and do not take care about cross matings with other types of birds. That can and does happen. That certainly looks to be the case with your cockerel, and yes, it is a cockerel.

People also try to make their own version of the sex link and this isn't fool proof because the parent stock isn't always pure enough genetically to assure the sex linking works.

Also, people mistakenly breed sex links for a second generation and this doesn't work. Breeding sex link to sex link, in the case of the red sex link, is to produce a plethora of mutts/mixes.

Finally, hatcheries do make the occasional mistake and TSC and other feed stores often confuse the chicks and customers misplace chicks in bins. All kinds of things happen.

Last edited:
Thank you both for your responses! I'm ready to admit now that we won't be getting any eggs from this guy! Bummer. We do have one other bird--16 week old Brahma. She definitely looks like a hen.

There also could be the possibility that someone knew it was a rooster and was trying to get rid of it, so they lied to you. Sad, but it happens.

Back
Top Bottom