Is it possible to over feed your chickens

May 7, 2021
My fiancé keeps telling me that I have over fed my chickens. That I spoil them and they look like chicken Zillas lol. We had gone to a farmers market/ chicken swap a few weeks ago looking for breeds that we couldn’t find locally. Some of the chickens we looked at around the same age as the ones we have didn’t look right to me. Their feathers were a mess they looked skinny and the under feathers where all the fluff is around the butt and so forth was not really there. I was so confused because all my girls are plump and their feathers look great and so does the under fluff.
That being said I feed them flockraiser for the u see hens and the turkeys and ducks that share a space. The laying hens get the food recommended for them. In the evening they free range for a couple hours before dark and of course they get a treat once a day and fresh fruit and veggies every other day as well.
ey are in a huge run during the day so no space issues here and then get to wander in the late afternoon around the property as them seem to get the chicken zoomies and just zip around like crazy birds. Lol.
So my question is. Is it possible to over feed them or is this a case of very well taken care of and spoiled chickens? I am very new at this as my laying hens are around 8 months old and we raised them from hatchlings. And our newer babies are maybe two months five or take a few weeks.
Any advice is appreciated

Hi Fluffy, it's a good question and I don't know I have the answer. In my experience I feel like chickens can't get too fat as long as they are eating the right things. Once they start eating the equivalent of pizza every day then they can start getting fat.

So to me the equivalent of pizza to a chicken would be corn and mealworms. Some might argue sunflower seeds should be included as they contain so much fat. Not sure on them, I like sunflower seeds, others have argued they contain too much fat.

I think some feeds are better quality than others and just like a person only eating fruit and vegetables will find it hard to become fat, a person only eating hot dogs and pizza on the other hand will be overweight within a year.
So feed the birds a good feed, limit the fattening treats like corn and mealworms. Feed plenty of veg. They can eat as much veg as they want without being able to get fat on it.

Hi Fluffy, it's a good question and I don't know I have the answer. In my experience I feel like chickens can't get too fat as long as they are eating the right things. Once they start eating the equivalent of pizza every day then they can start getting fat.

So to me the equivalent of pizza to a chicken would be corn and mealworms. Some might argue sunflower seeds should be included as they contain so much fat. Not sure on them, I like sunflower seeds, others have argued they contain too much fat.

I think some feeds are better quality than others and just like a person only eating fruit and vegetables will find it hard to become fat, a person only eating hot dogs and pizza on the other hand will be overweight within a year.
So feed the birds a good feed, limit the fattening treats like corn and mealworms. Feed plenty of veg. They can eat as much veg as they want without being able to get fat on it.
That’s what I thought too. As long as they are eating and have everything they need I figured that was a good thing. As I also have exotic parrots and it’s the same for them fruits and veggies small amount of snacks on good days and so forth. I guess I just take pride in having a health looking flock. Thank you

...The laying hens get the food recommended for them. In the evening they free range for a couple hours before dark and of course they get a treat once a day and fresh fruit and veggies every other day as well....
What is the quantity and what kind of treats, are feed daily? How much fresh fruit/veggies are being feed in addition to treats? Those items could be adding unneeded calories/fat.

My most frequent "treat" is their Flock Raiser feed mixed with warm water to make a mush. It's only feed, but they think it's a treat.

Back
Top Bottom