is it possiible for one hen to be the problem

aaronccfd

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
i have 4 new hamp reds and 4 barred rocks. All are hens. In the last week i have had a problem with the eggs being eaten and all but 1of the new hamp red has feathers missing right below their vents, an area about the size of a silver dollar. The feathers appear to be pecked off. I did a test this morning and put one egg in the run. The one not missing the featers ran right up and started pecking the egg. can she be a bad hen and the reason for both issues. Anny info or opinions would help. thanks

It is possible she may be the culprit. Do you have a dark nest for her because they can not peck in the dark

At the last resort, I would get rid of her ASAP before the others follow her bad habits.

Yep: one hen is the problem

They could do this if they were raised in a large group and some picking starts. Chickens learn from each other so you want to stop this fast.

the only cure is the stewpot. Clipping the beak will stop feather picking but not egg eating.

thanks for the info. I'm going to seperate her from the others today. If there are eggs tomorrow shes soup.

Back
Top Bottom