1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it really coccidiosos?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silverlaced44, Jul 10, 2016.

1. silverlaced44

silverlaced44 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    Hi there
    I have some chickens who have had bloody poop, and I have given them medicine for it, but they still have bloody poop. I have NOT noticed anything like: pink intestinal tissue in droppings/hunched posture with ruffled feathers/droopiness/loss of appetite or interest in water/slow growth/ or weakness/lethargy. What do you think it is?

2. RabonCrew

RabonCrew Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016
    I got on here to research my issue with my chickens and you and I are having the EXACT same issue! I'll be interested to see what replies you get.

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, so I have dealt with cocci a few times. Seems we have it in our ground.

I need more info to help out. How old are your chickens? How long have you noticed bloody stools? Are they runny like fresh blood? What did you treat with and for how long?

4. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

What did you medicate them with and what was the dosing schedule?

5. EggSighted4Life

Also, did you treat all of your chickens?

When we get cocci, bloody stool is my only sign because I catch it before they are lethargic and stuff. At that point I can witness normal stools from each chick in addition to the occasional bloody 1. I have to adjust my dosing to make up for water in my fermented feed. When I wasn't sure, I took a bloody sample to the vet and got a fecal float test which costed me $25 and confirmed cocci. At least I knew I was treating for the right thing.

I don't think they all have the same symptoms at the same time. So I think bloody poos that come after treatment could possibly be from those who contracted it later.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos of the poop?

Did you treat with Corid or Sulmet, what dosage and for how long?

What type of food/treats do you feed?

How old are the chickens?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it
    http://www.easychickenry.com/coccidiosis-in-chickens.html
    http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  7. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    You need to find the cause, if you think its reoccurring , when you already treated for it...
    what medication did you use...? for how long...? were you suppose to medicate, wait 10 days and re medicate...

Poop in water, will cause coccidiosis....
    chicks bedding, if not changed often enough will still carry the coccidiosis..
    and cause it to reoccur ...

8. silverlaced44

silverlaced44 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    They got corid, for 5 days. When I saw it didn't work I gave corid again, still didn't work. I've been doing this for about a month. They are 6 months to 1 year. I feed layer pellets. I will get photos asap.

9. EggSighted4Life

I suggest you get a sample to the vet asap. And maybe improve your coop hygiene (no rudeness intended).

10. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    That sounds like a lot of medicating to me... maybe I'm wrong....

without searching the internet, I believe there are many kinds of coccidiosis and the corid may kill some of it
    but maybe not others kinds....

sulmet ... is another brand but don't know if they still sell it....

are you positive that's what it is.....?

I'd clean there cages daily, and change water several times a day....
    You might want to get some oxide... to spray in the cage, or coop or whatever....
    NOT with the chicks in it...! read the directions very carefully..... it kills bacteria....
    I use it to clean pens....when moving chicks outdoors, to make room for new chicks...

https://www.amazon.com/Vital-Oxide-...&qid=1468166801&sr=8-2&keywords=oxide+cleaner

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by