Is it "SAD" or just the grumps?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gryeyes, Jan 5, 2011.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The days getting longer are just not doing it fast enough for me. I don't know if I am suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder, holiday let-down, or just the grumps.

I am not getting my daily chicken quality time fix because I work 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM. I get home at dark and the chickens are roosting. I leave in the morning just as they are coming out of their coops. This sucks.

I can hardly wait until the week ends, and only then do I start to feel better.

That's all I really had to say. Maybe it's CDS - Chicken Deprivation Syndrome.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:Seasonal Chicken Deprivation Syndrome -- horrible malady [​IMG]

The only help - no cure, just a bandaid - chicks in the house [​IMG] That way you can enjoy them before bed, while the adult chooks are sleeping.

3. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    [​IMG] agree with horsefeatherz

4. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    I too suffer from this affliction...so I ordered some hatching eggs! [​IMG]

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    awe... you need a cyber chicken hug. [​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Seasonal Chicken Deprivation Syndrome -- horrible malady [​IMG]

The only help - no cure, just a bandaid - chicks in the house [​IMG] That way you can enjoy them before bed, while the adult chooks are sleeping.

Ya know, that IS the only thing keeping me from the weepies! Three little bantam chicks in one brooder, a convalescing frizzle Cochin that *ahem* recovered early LAST week and is perfectly happy to stay inside in the bathroom, and four newly-hatched chicks.
    They just make me smile. The 9 wk old Cochin, Fritzie, has turned into a snuggle chickie. [​IMG]

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I thought that it was just me feeling that way. Everyone that I talk to about it says that I'm crazy. I am so depressed because I get home at 5:05 PM and I don't have much time to spend with my animals. That makes me crazy, sad, depressed, frustrated and short-tempered. I get panic and anxiety attacks weekly. I have already marked my calendar, set my cell phone alarm, placed sticky notes all over my office at work, home and car about March 13, 2011 (DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME BEGINS). I'm not dealing with this well at all. I feel your pain. [​IMG]

8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Ha, I have lights in my coop, and since the chickens can't escape I can hug EVERYONE!

You can hear them when I walk in, grumbling about how if I give hugs I should also give treats.

Yesterday I got home early and gave each run a slice of grits-cake, studded with leftover sweet potato and roast beast.
    Tonight, they get HUGS!

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

10. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    The snow melted a few days back in an unusually warm spell for Illinois. I thought with the two fronts we may even see a tornado since it happened 2 years ago in February. weird.

At any rate, it's 26* now and it's nice to see everyone out of the coop for once. Though a winter storm threatens again this coming Mon and Tues.

There's something oddly appealing about seeing a chicken line.... lil red hen, lil red hen sister, ee hen, black copper maran roo, ee hen, black copper maran hen, and one straggeling really fat and fluffy blue orp following up behind. I won't tell you what the ducks did...but it involved 2 affectionate drakes and 1 female duck who ducked and ducked and ducked out of there. She's talented and those boys were stubborn.

There...is that a nice picture--I mean the chicken line? We can all just share funny stories and it'll make ya all feel better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by