Is it safe for the chickens to be eating compost?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dar, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Hello all...

I have a compost area that has 3 sides made out of chain link fence. we decided to leave the 4th side open so that i can get the wheel barrow in there and so it is easy for me to turn the compost..

well now my chickens have discovered a buffet in the compost pile...my questions is...is this ok?

i never put meat products in there just
    egg shells
    veggie peelings / fruit pits/cores / wilted produce
    coffee filters and grinds
    tea bags
    heals of the loaf of bread and mouldy bread

I have read on here that chickens can get quite ill if the coop has mould in it but what about the mouldy bread in the compost?

thanks...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008
  2. shangri-lafarms

shangri-lafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    My chickens love my compost pile too, and so far so good, but I was wondering the same things

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd keep them out of it. They might just be eating the bugs, but I'd still keep them out of it.

4. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    The mold in the coop would be a different type of mold from the bread mold. I'm not sure why you would want to keep them out of the compost pile. It doesn't sound like you are putting anything in it that would hurt them. Our chickens seem pretty smart about not eating putrid stuff out of our pile.

5. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Ours are so intent on finding the bugs and worms, they dont pay much attention to anything else in there. They have a party, and no one seems hungover the next day!

6. karanleaf

karanleaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    Glenwood, Missouri
    Doesn't sound as if there is anything in there to hurt them.
    They certainly aren't going to hurt it . If any thing they may help, scratching and stirring it up on a worm and bug hunt. [​IMG] I would figure that would be a plus if it were me. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    In a word, Yes.

8. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Mine love the compost pile. They scratch around in it and look for bugs, but also eat crushed egg shells and vegetation. I guess I don't see anything wrong with it.

9. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Mine line up at the compost pile and wait. [​IMG] My local supermarket will sell the sliightly over ripe bananas for .25 cents a pound. Good thing. [​IMG]

10. injunjoe

injunjoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    I have read that it is safe as long as you work the pile everyday. I guess it keeps any mold from growing in the cooler spots like the top and sides.

My chickens love to help me turn the pile!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by