Is it safe for the chickens to be eating compost?

Dar

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
Hello all...

I have a compost area that has 3 sides made out of chain link fence. we decided to leave the 4th side open so that i can get the wheel barrow in there and so it is easy for me to turn the compost..

well now my chickens have discovered a buffet in the compost pile...my questions is...is this ok?

i never put meat products in there just
egg shells
veggie peelings / fruit pits/cores / wilted produce
coffee filters and grinds
tea bags
heals of the loaf of bread and mouldy bread

I have read on here that chickens can get quite ill if the coop has mould in it but what about the mouldy bread in the compost?

thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:
The mold in the coop would be a different type of mold from the bread mold. I'm not sure why you would want to keep them out of the compost pile. It doesn't sound like you are putting anything in it that would hurt them. Our chickens seem pretty smart about not eating putrid stuff out of our pile.

Ours are so intent on finding the bugs and worms, they dont pay much attention to anything else in there. They have a party, and no one seems hungover the next day!

Doesn't sound as if there is anything in there to hurt them.
They certainly aren't going to hurt it . If any thing they may help, scratching and stirring it up on a worm and bug hunt.
D.gif
I would figure that would be a plus if it were me.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Mine love the compost pile. They scratch around in it and look for bugs, but also eat crushed egg shells and vegetation. I guess I don't see anything wrong with it.

Mine line up at the compost pile and wait.
big_smile.png
My local supermarket will sell the sliightly over ripe bananas for .25 cents a pound. Good thing.
wink.png

I have read that it is safe as long as you work the pile everyday. I guess it keeps any mold from growing in the cooler spots like the top and sides.

My chickens love to help me turn the pile!

Back
Top Bottom