Is it safe to bring found geese home to my farm?

Goddessmother

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 17, 2017
Northern California
People are saying there is a loose goose at Lake Mendocino. It looks like a graylag breed, perhaps young. They say it is friendly and approachable.

My goose is lonely. If the loose goose is a female, I would like to bring it home to my little farm to keep my precious Amerigo Vesgoosie company.

Will bringing a loose goose endanger my poultry with diseases? How can I make sure the loose goose is healthy enough to join my flock?

Attachments

• LooseGoose.jpg
    LooseGoose.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 14
You quarantine the new animals completely separate from uou existing animals for at least a month , I'd even treat for parasites while in quarantine or take to a vet for blood work if you have one.

Normally I would say it’s safe as long as you follow strict bio security BUT we are having a really bad HPAI “highly pathogenic avian influenza” outbreak in our waterfowl over here in CA, especially where wild waterfowl are congregating.

My bleeding heart for all geese would want to rescue this poor abandoned fellow, but I won’t lie to you, the risk is incredibly high. Just going to a lake or pond frequented by waterfowl isn’t something I’m doing this season.

Ultimately it’s up to you what you want to do, if you do decide to do it ask around if there’s been any sick birds seen in the area the last few weeks, keep the goose in a seperate area far away from your birds for the next few weeks, do not handle or transfer items between your flock and the new goose. Use a pan filled with bleach to step into before you leave the new birds designated quarantine zone. Use different sets of shoes for different areas. Have a seperate place you fill buckets and a seperate feed bag you feed him out of. Use disposable gloves! Change your clothes after you’ve handled the goose or any thing he’s had contact with, every time. Lysol your vehicle and leave it in the sun after transporting him. Treat it like it’s an incurable disease with no survivors because it pretty much is.

I discovered that whether the goose was an abandoned domestic variety, or if it is a migrating Canada goose, they are all protected by the Fish and Wildlife department at Lake Mendocino. Someone mentioned that she tried to rescue the loose goose and was threatened with a fine if she didn't put the goose back.

Last edited:
I discovered that whether the goose was an abandoned domestic variety, or if it is a migrating Canada goose, they are all protected by the Fish and Wildlife department at Lake Mendocino. Someone mentioned that she tried to rescue the loose goose and was threatened with a fine if she put the goose back.
Ah yes, the red tape bs.
I understand not interfering with wildlife, but not being allowed to intervene with a domestic animal that was abandoned by a human just makes no sense.

Back
Top Bottom