Is it safe to hatch bantams with large fowl at the same time or will the bantams chicks get injured?

Shades of Blue

Songster
8 Years
Apr 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I just wondered if this would be a hazard for the bantams to be hatched in amongst the large fowl chicks. I don't want any chicks tramped by the bigger ones. Has anyone done this and know if it's okay? thanks....

I just wondered if this would be a hazard for the bantams to be hatched in amongst the large fowl chicks. I don't want any chicks tramped by the bigger ones. Has anyone done this and know if it's okay? thanks....
I have been raising them together and have 8 month old bantam and lf out in the coop now. I even have turkeys with them. The little ones know they are little and watch out for the bigger ones and most of the bigger ones watch for the little ones. Except for the turkeys they step on everything lol. The bantams are fast and agile and I have never had an issue. I would just keep an eye on them and if you have a problem, have an area set up to seperate if possible. Every situation is different this is just my experience. I have some bantam and lf in the coop, grow out area and brooder. Age groups 7-9 months, 3-4 months, 2 weeks

I was selling a person some bantam and large fowl eggs that they were going to incubate together. I have never done it and I just didn't want them to hatch them out and then the large fowl tramp the little ones. So as long as they are okay in the bator together as they hatch then that is great.

I would suggest to the person to watch closely so if there are problems they can step in. Just to save yourself from hardships from the person. I am sure it could happen, so you dont want to tell them its ok and have it happen. Just let them know they need to watch for the large ones getting too rough and if that happens to have an area ready to seperate

I've brooded them out together. I did have a problem one time. I put a scrap of 1x2 welded wire across the back end of the broody box. The little D'anver could run right through it to get away from the big meany. It didn't last long and they worked it out in the end.

My second flock has 30 lf and 6 bantams. They were brooded together. Some of the big girls occasionally get grumpy and try to take it out on the little ones but they are so much quicker that usually nothing happens. A board leaned against the side of the coop/run gives them somewhere to hide.

I've brooded them out together. I did have a problem one time. I put a scrap of 1x2 welded wire across the back end of the broody box. The little D'anver could run right through it to get away from the big meany. It didn't last long and they worked it out in the end.

My second flock has 30 lf and 6 bantams. They were brooded together. Some of the big girls occasionally get grumpy and try to take it out on the little ones but they are so much quicker that usually nothing happens. A board leaned against the side of the coop/run gives them somewhere to hide.

thanks.....also I was wondering if you hatched them at the same time. I was wondering how that would go when the big and little were newbies at the same time in the incubator? I have D'anver x buff brahma eggs going in with sex link eggs. Until they get their wits about them in the incubator I don't want anyone tramped. Maybe I will sort the eggs I sell this lady and plck the smaller of the large fowl eggs to go in with the bantam eggs. Some of my black sex link eggs are 3-4 times the size as the little D'anver egg. So if i put in her 2 dozen the pullet eggs that might be a better idea?

I hatch everything from ducks & turkeys to Serama & quail all in the same bator. I do separate the quail & Serama into a separate brooder at first tho. Ducks I try to brood on wire after the 1st 48 hours. They go into the wire bottomed bird cage & then into my wire stack cage until they are ready to go outside. By the time they are about a week old they are ready for the stack cage since it has bigger holed wire than the bird cage. Quail & Serama brood for the 1st few days in a plastic dresser where I can see them better. Everything from regular bantams to LF chickens, guineas, & turkeys all go in the same large brooder. Turkeys actually NEED chicks or keets to show them how to eat or drink, so I usually try to time their hatch a day or 2 behing the chicks so I have "turkey tutors" already in the brooder to show them what to do.

So to answer your original question, yes, LF & bantam chicks can be hatched together. They can also be brooded together as long as you make sure no one is being bullied. It's not even always the banties GETTING bullied either. I've had banties hatch a day or 2 earlier than the LF before & try to beat up the LF when I put them in the brooder.

I also try to watch the hatch when I have something like ducks & quail trying to hatch together. I will usually pull the quail as soon as they get their feet under them to avoid having them squished by a flailing duckling trying to kick it's shell loose. Unless you are hatching quail or Serama with something bigger they should be fine hatching unsupervised as long as there is plenty of room in the bator to move out of each other's way during hatch.

Last edited:
I haven't hatched them together. All my chicks have been hatchery shipped chicks but they all got brooded together. I hope to have more knowledge about that in three weeks. I've got BLRW eggs in with my bantam eggs now. Only loaded the bator this morning so to soon to tell.

I hatch everything from ducks & turkeys to Serama & quail all in the same bator. I do separate the quail & Serama into a separate brooder at first tho. Ducks I try to brood on wire after the 1st 48 hours. They go into the wire bottomed bird cage & then into my wire stack cage until they are ready to go outside. By the time they are about a week old they are ready for the stack cage since it has bigger holed wire than the bird cage. Quail & Serama brood for the 1st few days in a plastic dresser where I can see them better. Everything from regular bantams to LF chickens, guineas, & turkeys all go in the same large brooder. Turkeys actually NEED chicks or keets to show them how to eat or drink, so I usually try to time their hatch a day or 2 behing the chicks so I have "turkey tutors" already in the brooder to show them what to do.

So to answer your original question, yes, LF & bantam chicks can be hatched together. They can also be brooded together as long as you make sure no one is being bullied. It's not even always the banties GETTING bullied either. I've had banties hatch a day or 2 earlier than the LF before & try to beat up the LF when I put them in the brooder.

I also try to watch the hatch when I have something like ducks & quail trying to hatch together. I will usually pull the quail as soon as they get their feet under them to avoid having them squished by a flailing duckling trying to kick it's shell loose. Unless you are hatching quail or Serama with something bigger they should be fine hatching unsupervised as long as there is plenty of room in the bator to move out of each other's way during hatch.

thanks......

Back
Top Bottom