1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it safe to use lime in the chicken coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gumpsgirl, Apr 20, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Someone locally told me that they use lime in their coops and run to keep the smell down. Is that safe to do? [​IMG] I know quite a few people on here use the food grade DE and I know that's safe. I was just curious about the lime!

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
  3. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Thanks Angela! That looks like it is a "Yes". Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Someone asked this recently...here is the information I gave them [​IMG]

Is it Ag lime or Hydrated Lime? Hydrated will kill them...

here is the information from the Dept. of Agriculture

There are two different kinds of lime.

Hydrated lime, slake lime, or "burn lime"- This is pure white. Hydrated lime is very caustic, so the bag will have a warning on it. This is the kind of lime you use for white wash . This lime will burn you and your livestock. Do not use it on the floor. Do not breath it.

Agricultural lime, "ag lime", "garden lime", "barn lime" or dolomite- This lime is gray and can be used to spread on the floor of your barn. This is safe for you and your livestock. It will not burn.

In the past we spread Ag. lime on our barn floor because it provides an antibacterial quality, dries out and "sweetens" the floor , and also it makes it easier to clean, for some people.

If you just ask for lime at your feed store, they will probably give you hydrated lime. If you say it's for the barn floor they will still probably give you hydrated. Please be safe, get the "Ag" lime .

Debutante, MizPriz, ginger340 and 2 others like this.
  5. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Stall Dry is excellent for the coop. It has DE in it, and granular clay. This is the stuff (there's also something called "Dry Stall". That's different):

http://www.wicp.com/stall_dry.htm

TSC carries it, if you don't want to try the lime. [​IMG]

6. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:That is perfect and EXACTLY what I am looking for! I can't find the food grade DE anywhere around here. I placed and order that is going to be delivered today for a 10# bag of DE, but it was so expensive (the shipping was the killer), I hate to use it on the floor of my coop! If the Stall Dry has the De in it, that will be perfect. Thank you!

7. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

It's really nice stuff, I mix it half and half with sand and the chicks dustbathe in it, too. [​IMG]

I can't find DE here, either.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  8. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Don't chickens eat the stall-dry? The stuff at my feed store is pelletized, so I didn't get, thinking they would eat it like they eat little pebbles.

9. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    We use Hydrated lime on cuts, wounds etc, on horses. It will draw and close even the nastiest of wounds and heal them with VERY minimal, if any, scarring at all.
    Its amazing stuff for that.

10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I use Stall Dry...it works well, does have DE in it...I have to order my 50# bags of DE online, its the shipping costs that are so high with DE...

I combine mine under the roosts with the wood shavings...

Hydrated or garden lime is for the chickens run.. and needs tilled in, watered and left from a few days if garden lime to a week or two for hydrated......will burn the chickens feet...

My Stall Dry is a powder like or grainy substances...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by