Is it Sour Crop?

pine_lore

Chirping
May 18, 2021
Orange County, NY
I noticed my 8/mo old gal seemed a little off yesterday. She seemed like she wanted to lay an egg but she already had that day.

The next morning she was very slow moving. She would stand by herself and fluff herself up. I inspected her and realized her crop was somewhat full and squishy even though she hadn't eaten yet that day. I have since separated her from the flock.

I've read up on Sour Crop and have started giving her miconazole (monistat) along with her usual food and water. I understand I should continue treatment of miconazole 3x a day for 7 days.

Here are some of my questions:

Do others also suspect she has sour crop?
Is there anything else I should do for treatment?
She has very green, tiny, watery poop right now....any thoughts on why? (pic below)
Will she stop laying during this period of time? Should I be concerned that she may be egg-bound?

Thank you!!

The lady
Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 3.54.35 PM.png

Her poop
Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 3.54.45 PM.png

It won't hurt to start her on the miconazole. But a stuck egg can cause the crop to back up, so treating her with a calcium citrate tablet in case she's egg bound would also be wise. Neither treatment can hurt if we're wrong. Covering both possibilities is a good idea.

It won't hurt to start her on the miconazole. But a stuck egg can cause the crop to back up, so treating her with a calcium citrate tablet in case she's egg bound would also be wise. Neither treatment can hurt if we're wrong. Covering both possibilities is a good idea.
Thank you for your advice! I have been treating her with miconazole and calium citrate. She still hasn't laid, but her poops are back to normal and her crop is emptying again overnight!

She still seems just a bit off - a little tired here and there - but is otherwise doing a lot better and doing usual chicken activities. I imagine she's still generally recovering from how she felt earlier this week.

Back
Top Bottom