Is it still alive?

Yes i agree. Today we said goodbye and did the eggtopsy.. It looked quite developed probably few more days to go. The kids and I were all devastated. I had a little cry myself. Lesson learned never water test until absolute had to.. And check for holes :hit
I'm sorry :hugs
I know its really hard to see that. My first attempt at hatching didnt go well and the eggtopsy was so sad. I'll never forget her sweet little face.

I hope you have better luck with the remaining eggs. Could you get photos of them being candled?

I'm sorry :hugs
I know its really hard to see that. My first attempt at hatching didnt go well and the eggtopsy was so sad. I'll never forget her sweet little face.

I hope you have better luck with the remaining eggs. Could you get photos of them being candled?
Yes sure i think the photos didnt go thru? I'll post up again
Yes please see attached photos. I have wiped down the incubator with sanitizer in case egg 1 was bacterial infected. Now i have 2 eggs (egg#2 #3)going into lockdown - definitely still have movements! And the youngest one's (egg#4) due date is 31 Aug..
You'll see the 1st 2 photos, that egg is actually smaller than the others but still got movement when i candle it just now. Would smaller eggs of the same breed has lower hatching rate?
Today's humidity dropped to 40% coz today is sunny day like summer... Argh we have 4 seasons in 1 day

Attachments

• 20220820_225734_HDR.jpg
    20220820_225734_HDR.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220820_225658_HDR.jpg
    20220820_225658_HDR.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220820_225931_HDR~2.jpg
    20220820_225931_HDR~2.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220820_225944_HDR.jpg
    20220820_225944_HDR.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220820_230529_HDR.jpg
    20220820_230529_HDR.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220820_230504_HDR.jpg
    20220820_230504_HDR.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 3
Yes sure i think the photos didnt go thru? I'll post up again
thanks!
I think my notifications had a glitch.

So these are the three remaining eggs? Which are which? I assume the two going into lockdown are the first 4 photos here?
The air cells are a little on the small side maybe. Have you tried spraying the eggs with water a couple times a day?
It's lockdown tomorrow right? I would open the vents on the incubator and spray the two older eggs with water twice a day. This sounds counterproductive but in reality the water on the shell will actually help the egg to evaporate more moisture.
This will help the air cells grow. In the meantime, I would otherwise let the incubator run dry until lockdown, leaving vents open so that the moisture on the eggs can escape.
Then tomorrow, or perhaps the day after as long as no pips, I would bump the humidity back up.

Do you have a calibrated thermometer? Most built in incubator temp readings are incorrect. It seems like one, or perhaps even both older eggs could be fractionally behind in development, this shouldnt cause much of an issue, but I would be prepared for them to hatch a day or so late.
I believe in your earlier comment you mentioned one egg being a bit small? An egg being on the small side shouldn't affect too much, usually small eggs or abnormally large eggs arent chosen for incubation, but its likely that the smaller egg was simply laid by a younger bird. It could result in a slightly smaller duckling, or the duckling may fill the egg more quickly and need a hand during hatch. But I'll bet it'll be fine. If you're interested in hands on hatching, should any problem arise, have a read of the Assisted hatching article.

Keep in mind that ducks are very slow hatchers and your patience will be tested, they can take a day from internal pip to external pip, and then up to 2 days from external pip to zip and then an hour or a little longer to actually hatch out. So take what is in the article with a pinch of salt, ducklings need a longer timeframe than most other poultry.

Wow thank you for your informative advice!
Ok I'll try to run it in the dry side. Yes i have been spraying them with warm water twice a day until i found out something wrong with Egg1. So it's been nearly a week with no spraying.
My homemade incubator is actually a rice cooker with waterbed running with a thermostat, covered with a towel, so it works like a reverse version on a hen sitting on eggs. I have been religiously turning the eggs at least 3 times a day since the yolk always float to the top. I normally use a infared temp gun to check temp on each egg. Now i have a calibrated temp and humidity one to monitor as well, but since this incubator is directly heating the eggs so i guess that the temp will be showing lower temp but accurate on humidity? But yes you are right a late hatch should be expected.
I have been reading a lot about hatching from this forum but not the humidity side of it.. I'm glad i joined this forum and you guys been big help and support.
Will keep you all updated ;)

it doesnt look good Im afraid, I cant see any veins. Any movement?
Fyi today is day 28, i have lowered humidity to 35-40% last couple of days and turn the egg by 5degree only since it was supposed to go into lockdown.. The aircell has receded!!
20220824_212841.jpg

Last time i posted the photo of this egg the aircell was at the 1st line. I guess I'll lock it down from tonight.. I'm still expecting the worst but still hope for the best.
Egg4 still going strong btw :fl

Fyi today is day 28, i have lowered humidity to 35-40% last couple of days and turn the egg by 5degree only since it was supposed to go into lockdown.. The aircell has receded!! View attachment 3234196
Last time i posted the photo of this egg the aircell was at the 1st line. I guess I'll lock it down from tonight.. I'm still expecting the worst but still hope for the best.
Egg4 still going strong btw :fl
it definitely seems a few days behind, could you see veins/movement upon candling?

I would keep humidity low, until am internal pip, it still has a lot of moisture to lose.

Back
Top Bottom