Is it still alive?

We just lost the 3rd one too :( yesterday still have veins now all gone.. Is it because too dry? Or the humidity was wrong to start with?

its day 25 on sunday for this 4th one. But half of egg looks empty? Is this normal? This is the last one standing..

Attachments

• 20220826_213907_HDR~2.jpg
    20220826_213907_HDR~2.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 4
We just lost the 3rd one too :( yesterday still have veins now all gone.. Is it because too dry? Or the humidity was wrong to start with?

its day 25 on sunday for this 4th one. But half of egg looks empty? Is this normal? This is the last one standing..
The other side of the egg i can see its full and still moving

Are you seeing movement from the embryo? This is very abnormal, by now the egg should be all filled up.
If this egg is alive still, I would have guessed this egg to be about 13 days, not 25.
This is a photo of my duck egg on about day 18, 19. As you can see, the egg is filling up a ton.
By day 25, this is what you should be seeing, except the air cell should be getting much larger.

I have a feeling this a temperature issue. Do you have a calibrated thermometer in the incubator? How often have these eggs been turned, are you using an automatic turner?

Attachments

• IMG-20211212-WA0034.jpeg
    IMG-20211212-WA0034.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 4

Here is a chart that will give you an idea of what development should look like:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220826-130613_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220826-130613_Chrome.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 5
Are you seeing movement from the embryo? This is very abnormal, by now the egg should be all filled up.
If this egg is alive still, I would have guessed this egg to be about 13 days, not 25.
This is a photo of my duck egg on about day 18, 19. As you can see, the egg is filling up a ton.
By day 25, this is what you should be seeing, except the air cell should be getting much larger.

I have a feeling this a temperature issue. Do you have a calibrated thermometer in the incubator? How often have these eggs been turned, are you using an automatic turner?
I manually turn the eggs at least 4 times a day. The other side of the egg is full tho i can see its still moving. Blood vessels pumping.
Its a homemade incubator with waterbed heating from underneath which set on 37.5 with a thermostat. Covered with towel. I wondered if it is because direct heating unlike other incubators..

I manually turn the eggs at least 4 times a day. The other side of the egg is full tho i can see its still moving. Blood vessels pumping.
Its a homemade incubator with waterbed heating from underneath which set on 37.5 with a thermostat. Covered with towel. I wondered if it is because direct heating unlike other incubators..
is the thermometer calibrated? where is the thermometer placed? Against the heater or in the air above it?
The egg you sent a photo of, that is the one with movement yes? It's very odd. It definitely is not ready for lockdown

is the thermometer calibrated? where is the thermometer placed? Against the heater or in the air above it?
The egg you sent a photo of, that is the one with movement yes? It's very odd. It definitely is not ready for lockdown
The thermometer is not calibrated coz i dont know how but i have calibrated the humidity meter side of it. It is sitting on top of the waterbed like the eggs but showing 33.8C. But i use the temp gun to check the egg temp its always around 38-39 sometimes near 40, i guess the chick inside also has temp to add up to it.
The thermostat sensor is sitting inside the waterbed and set as 37.5C. I research that embryo will die if reached 40.5 at certain period of time.. So i just lightly cover with towel so it won't get overheated? Am i correct to try to keep the egg lowet than 40?

The thermometer is not calibrated coz i dont know how but i have calibrated the humidity meter side of it. It is sitting on top of the waterbed like the eggs but showing 33.8C. But i use the temp gun to check the egg temp its always around 38-39 sometimes near 40, i guess the chick inside also has temp to add up to it.
The thermostat sensor is sitting inside the waterbed and set as 37.5C. I research that embryo will die if reached 40.5 at certain period of time.. So i just lightly cover with towel so it won't get overheated? Am i correct to try to keep the egg lowet than 40?
yes, the temp you are aiming for is 37.5 C

A thermostat is usually great for keeping a temp more stable, but the thermometer may be incorrect. You can calibrate the thermometer by (I think) putting 50% ice and 50% water in a glass and putting the probe (if waterproof) into it. The temperature should read a certain temperature by a certain point and that's how you know if it is accurate or a degree too low or too high. I would suggest doing this before your next hatch, I can give you more details or a link to an article about this, soon.

My thermometer is 1of those boxed one displaying temp and humidity. So not sure where the probe is..
Do u think i should cover it with a thicker breathable material touching the egg to keep warm instead of a towel over the top of incubator, hence, air temp inside not reaching 37.5c? But would that overheat the eggs? I wonder what temp on the egg around lockdown in a proper incubator?

My thermometer is 1of those boxed one displaying temp and humidity. So not sure where the probe is..
Do u think i should cover it with a thicker breathable material touching the egg to keep warm instead of a towel over the top of incubator, hence, air temp inside not reaching 37.5c? But would that overheat the eggs? I wonder what temp on the egg around lockdown in a proper incubator?
its really hard to regulate the temp in a homemade incubator like this. Now, a thermostat is supposed to achieve a fixed temp, so in theory, it should cool the heat source if it goes above the desired temperature.
What is the temperature difference? I use a thermostat with my exotic invertebrates, and it is able to be set a set limit. So if I want it to be 37.5 degrees, I can give it a 0.5 diff, so that it wont go below 37, or above 38.
Do you have this setting?
And it is important to know where the probe is located, so that you know it is able to do its job.

Back
Top Bottom