Is it time to put my hen down

Silvermable

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 9, 2014
[This is my first time writing in, but I really could use some advice. I have a 2 year old silver wyndote. My other hens picked on her so badly over the summer to the point of drawing blood. I believe she's blind in one eye. I've separated her out and she gets loads of special attention. She lays everyday and has been company for the chicks. Yesterday her left wing has dropped and she steps on it. This afternoon she tripped and couldn't get back up. HELP. She I put her down or does any one have advice?:(

I'm a softie & wait it out w most of mine. I've had some die & some get better.

You might try some poly vi sol baby vitamins in her water. Also, crushed calcium w vitamin d pill in her feed. Make sure she has quality feed & oyster shell. Does she seem feverish? Drop some water or dip just the tip of her beak periodically to keep her drinking & hydrated. Does she have any other symptoms? Respiratory? Lesions? Eating/drinking? Still laying? Pooping?/ diarrhea?

I'm a softie & wait it out w most of mine. I've had some die & some get better.

You might try some poly vi sol baby vitamins in her water. Also, crushed calcium w vitamin d pill in her feed. Make sure she has quality feed & oyster shell. Does she seem feverish? Drop some water or dip just the tip of her beak periodically to keep her drinking & hydrated. Does she have any other symptoms? Respiratory? Lesions? Eating/drinking? Still laying? Pooping?/ diarrhea?

Great advice. :thumbsup I must ad tho, if you do the poly vi sol baby vitamins make sure to give her the ones WITHOUT iron. This is very important.

Quote: x2
goodpost.gif

Unfortunately my girl is getting worse. She isn't able to stand on her own. She is eating and drinking. No eggs for the last several days.

Unfortunately my girl is getting worse. She isn't able to stand on her own. She is eating and drinking. No eggs for the last several days.

Oh no. I've only had chickens for a year and a half so I'm not super knowledgeable on this sort of stuff. You can try searching for casportpony here on BYC and when you find her send her a PM. She's really knowledgeable on chicken diseases and disorders and that sort of stuff, she may be able to help you. Best wishes to you and your hen. :hugs

Mable just kept getting worse. I wished that I could have done more for her. She was a real fighter for life since her blindness this summer. Not know what happened for this drastic downfall really upsets me. In the end, although it was not easy, Mable has been put to rest this evening.

Mable just kept getting worse. I wished that I could have done more for her. She was a real fighter for life since her blindness this summer. Not know what happened for this drastic downfall really upsets me. In the end, although it was not easy, Mable has been put to rest this evening.

Sorry for your loss. :hugs They become pets and its sad to let them go. :(

Back
Top Bottom