Is it time to say goodbye?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ketta_czarina, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Ketta_czarina

Ketta_czarina Chirping

Jun 17, 2019
    Hello, I just posted an introduction, and mentioned having a question I haven’t found an answer to yet. Here it goes:

I’ve had my chicks since late March, I think they are about 16 weeks. I love them all so much, and Charlie and Kevin are so handsome, but I’m pretty sure they are roosters. They have sickle-shaped tail feathers now, and pointy neck feathers, and bright red combs and wattles.

My question is, when do I need to take them back to the Ranch? I can’t keep roosters here, and I afraid they will start trying mate with their mom or sisters. The sisters haven’t started laying eggs, but the mom is. Neither of them have started crowing, but they are starting to show off and fight. Is it time to say goodbye?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Trimurtisan likes this.
  2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Probably so. Sorry.

Trimurtisan, sourland and DobieLover like this.
  3. Ketta_czarina

Ketta_czarina Chirping

Jun 17, 2019
    It’s ok, I knew this day would come. They will have a nice life at the ranch.

4. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Yes, I'm afraid so. If you are not allowed roosters then these young cockerels are going to have to go. I'm surprised they haven't already started crowing at 16 weeks, at least the dominant one.

Trimurtisan and sourland like this.
  5. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    if your not certain that they're male, you can always post pics to be certain. Some pullets, especially during molt, can look like they have those sickle shaped feathers. The best way to tell is that they have huge combs and wattles and they have male specific saddle feathers.

Trimurtisan likes this.
  6. Ketta_czarina

Ketta_czarina Chirping

Jun 17, 2019
    Of course, one of them started this morning! It’s a soft little crow, but it was there. Sad day!

Trimurtisan and DobieLover like this.
  7. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    :hugs
    I had to give up one of my cockerels. He is now living with 4 of his own hens and is a happy boy. If you have someone who will take them, that is good.

Trimurtisan and sourland like this.
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Better now before problems arise.

9. cstephens1987

cstephens1987 Songster

Apr 25, 2019
    Carroll county, Maryland
    The longer you wait, the harder it gets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: