Is it time?

CathyB

Songster
11 Years
Apr 6, 2008
PA
I have had my girlies that are now 5 days old on paper towels and doggie pee pads. I am going through them like crazy! So I was wondering if it was time to use the pine shavings. I have read anywhere from 2 days to a week. When I start the shavings should I keep the paper towels on there for one more day? I also have aspen that is pretty chunky. Would it be better to use that since it can't be eaten? I am worried to use it since some of it can be really sharp. I use it for my chinchillas so I have it handy!

My chicks just turned a week old on Wednesday and I took all the paper towels away yesterday. What I would suggest is to take part of the paper towels away today. Just leave some under and around the actual feeder. Watch them to see if they try and eat the shavings. Mine will grab a piece and run around like they have a prize but I don't believe they are eating them.

Last year, I never even used paper towels. I put them directly onto pine shavings. I had no problems whatsoever.

I have no idea about the aspen, but if it's sharp I would stay away from it.

I used puppy wee pads until mine last batch were about 5-6 days old. They did great! I don't think I ever saw even one of them eat their bedding.

I picked mine up this morning and I'm using pine shavings. I made sure they used a small circular feeder immediately and dipped their beaks in the water. All are feeding/drinking/pooping/grooming. Like you I was going to start without bedding, but it's such a cold day and even with the infrared light I wanted warmth underfoot.

Back
Top Bottom