Is it true about a hen's comb

M@M@2four

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
USA
Not necessarily....I have hens with combs that fold over(just my leghorns) and ones that are erect...but they usually aren't as large or high.

The Chicken Lady

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Apr 21, 2008
West Michigan
Quote:That is correct.

In certain breeds, like Leghorns and White-Faced Black Spanish, the hen's comb is more likely than the roosters to "flop." I personally think it looks cool, but I like chicken combs.

Ugly Cowboy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 25, 2008
Corn, OK

In certain breeds, like Leghorns and White-Faced Black Spanish, the hen's comb is more likely than the roosters to "flop." I personally think it looks cool, but I like chicken combs.

LOL Chickens with floppy combs crack me up! There just funny to look at, ya know?

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
Quote:We have two BO hens, and their combs have not folded over. I don't think they do, no. Ours are 4 months old. Their combs/wattles stay pretty small usually.

The Chicken Lady

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Apr 21, 2008
West Michigan

LOL Chickens with floppy combs crack me up! There just funny to look at, ya know?

Totally! I love it when a chicken moves its head quickly and its comb and wattles keep swinging from side to side even after the head has stopped moving.
I crack up every time!

hinkjc

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
PA
Orpington combs should always be erect.

Jody

Top Bottom