Is it true you're not to feed chickens anything moldy?

My gals get their feed, kitchen scraps, free range of insects, seeds, and plants they get from the property, tidbits they pull from compost pile, whatever was forgotten in the back of the fridge 6 mos ago, access to animal parts remaining from field dressing game or butchering, you name it. I've even seen them "hunt" and kill mice and small snakes in the yard.
I don't know if they eat everything on that list or pick through for only certain parts but they seem pretty good with only eating what they want and avoiding the real nasty stuff.

Only illness they have ever had is Mareks Disease introduced by a so-called "vaccinated" rooster. Once you have MD you'll always have it. Otherwise a bunch of happy healthy sunday dinners with feathers.

Last edited:
I had chickens get mold poisoning from some spoiled feed in their feeder I didn't notice last year. One passed away, the other we had to put down. Their symptoms from it was leg paralysis, & droopy head, then die about 1-2 days later. After removing the moldy food, I had no more fatalities.

I had chickens get mold poisoning from some spoiled feed in their feeder I didn't notice last year. One passed away, the other we had to put down. Their symptoms from it was leg paralysis, & droopy head, then die about 1-2 days later. After removing the moldy food, I had no more fatalities.
Did you have a necropsy performed to confirm this? Not saying it isn't likely, just wondering if it was a professional diagnosis.

Eeeeeeeeh, depends on the food.

I don't deliberately toss my girls things with a lot of mold but it's honestly it's pretty hard to keep them off the compost pile where all that stuff goes anyhow. >_>; They'll excavate the whole pile if they get a whiff that I've tossed moldy bread in there. I don't pay very close attention. 90% of my losses are predators anyhow.

Did you have a necropsy performed to confirm this? Not saying it isn't likely, just wondering if it was a professional diagnosis.
It was the obvious cause. I can't afford to ship birds anywhere. I thought it was botulism(Similar Symptoms), but eggcessive corrected me to the right diagnosis.

Back
Top Bottom