Is it true you're not to feed chickens anything moldy?

Pics
Jan 4, 2021
Ada, Oklahoma
Today I started getting 4 eggs! My hens started giving me an egg a day a week ago, then it became 2 eggs and then 3 for the past two days. So I try to give them extra treats like bread or meat- any left over food. Today I gave them moldy cheese, 2 banana muffins, some broccoli and an orange. The cinnamon queens flocked to the cheese while the others ate muffins and broccoli. I think they all ignored the orange. But I posted this in my fb group and someone said it's bad to give them moldy food. Is this true? I thought chickens can eat anything exc paper, plastic, metal and glass. Thank you for your comments!

Today I started getting 4 eggs! My hens started giving me an egg a day a week ago, then it became 2 eggs and then 3 for the past two days. So I try to give them extra treats like bread or meat- any left over food. Today I gave them moldy cheese, 2 banana muffins, some broccoli and an orange. The cinnamon queens flocked to the cheese while the others ate muffins and broccoli. I think they all ignored the orange. But I posted this in my fb group and someone said it's bad to give them moldy food. Is this true? I thought chickens can eat anything exc paper, plastic, metal and glass. Thank you for your comments!
Yes it is bad for them what I’ve heard from. (;

Don’t feed a chicken orange citrus is poisonous to them

Hello! In my experience, it is not advised to feed moldy things. My rule of thumb is: if I wouldn't lick it, I don't feed it to my chickens. Congrats on getting eggs! It's always so exciting. Table scraps are fine, but there are a few things to avoid, avocados, citrus, legumes, dried beans, tomatoes, white and green potatoes, and some other things that I'm sure someone can send a link to the article about. Good luck!

Oh, P.S. Aren't Cinnamon Queens sooo pretty!?!

Hello! In my experience, it is not advised to feed moldy things. My rule of thumb is: if I wouldn't lick it, I don't feed it to my chickens. Congrats on getting eggs! It's always so exciting. Table scraps are fine, but there are a few things to avoid, avocados, citrus, legumes, dried beans, tomatoes, white and green potatoes, and some other things that I'm sure someone can send a link to the article about. Good luck!

Oh, P.S. Aren't Cinnamon Queens sooo pretty!?!

My chickens eat the heck out of tomatoes if they get into the garden with ripe ones. Doesnt seem to hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom