Is it worth it?

I miss seeing the fall foliage, it's breathtaking. I'm bound to come up there and be a leaf peeper one fall. Where I am now it's constantly hot, it's 80s-90s right now and the leaves turn brown and die. No foliage here at all.

How do your chickens do through the winter? Do they come out or are they in the coop most of the time?

I know ducks do really well in NH winters, but I haven't known many who have chickens.

I'm new to chickens to. First chicks arrived in late April so I'm a newbie too. There are a lot of really helpful people on BYC that are so willing to share their knowledge, wisdom and experience. You'll get a lot of conflicting perspectives but that just reinforced to me that there's more than one way. But they've clearly all said that if I can keep the chickens out of the wind and dry, they can handle the -20's we get every winter. Not easy with the winds we get. We live downwind from a mtn notch on an exposed ridge- so I built my coop with hurricane ties. We've had 70 mph wind every year and this -70 wind chill... Why I've been looking at insulated heated waterers. But I've lived in many other places and there's no place like NH. World class city within 2 hrs. Ocean beaches, 4 seasons and great skiing...crap - just have away the secret.
I'll try to remember to post a foliage pic once peak color hits in about 3 or 4 weeks.

I'm new to chickens to. First chicks arrived in late April so I'm a newbie too. There are a lot of really helpful people on BYC that are so willing to share their knowledge, wisdom and experience. You'll get a lot of conflicting perspectives but that just reinforced to me that there's more than one way. But they've clearly all said that if I can keep the chickens out of the wind and dry, they can handle the -20's we get every winter. Not easy with the winds we get. We live downwind from a mtn notch on an exposed ridge- so I built my coop with hurricane ties. We've had 70 mph wind every year and this -70 wind chill... Why I've been looking at insulated heated waterers. But I've lived in many other places and there's no place like NH. World class city within 2 hrs. Ocean beaches, 4 seasons and great skiing...crap - just have away the secret.
I'll try to remember to post a foliage pic once peak color hits in about 3 or 4 weeks.
That would be awesome if you shared a pic. I have family that still live in Hillsborough County. I also have relatives that live in Maine in Aroostook County so I always get snow pictures that I laugh about because I've seen no more than 10 inches for 6 years since being down south.

The heat is brutal on chickens and ducks, I'm glad fall is here so they can get a break from it all.

Back
Top Bottom