Is it worth it?

Thanks for the link. I'm leaning towards ordering it as I can see anything that claims to work below zero. Did you use it through the summer? Did I keep the water cold, too?

I've been using it for the last several months at least. It keeps the water nice and fresh, no algae. I wouldn't necessarily say that it keeps the water cold, but it's so hot and humid here, I'm not sure what would. Sometimes on the hottest days, I dump some ice in there.

I'm the one that posted the initial review on this site, so make sure to read both pros and cons with my experience with it.

Yes I use it during the summer, actually one of my main reasons for choosing this waterer is the fact that the cord is fully removable on the latest model for summer use and the fact that the bucket is fully opaque which for me means zero algae growth. I can't say it keeps the water "cold" but I do keep it in the shade so it doesn't ever get hot.
Thank you. I did read the article and saw the reviews, but hadn't noticed that the noticed that there was a way to expand the review to read more. It may be time for new glasses! Some really good points particularly about the vacuum and possible freezing. Specify your taking the time to write the review, and posting here to tell me to look for your comments. I think in going to do more research before purchasing.

I was thinking about purchasing the K&H heated waterer until I read the most common "con" was trying to clean the interior of the container.

I live in high desert conditions and with this being my first rodeo raising chickens, I decided to go with what a reviewer said regarding the K&H heated waterer...he said, "Just get a heated dog water bowl!" So, I did...it is specifically designed for large, outside dogs...and my DH has made a small table for it to sit on so the girls won't get the water too dirty. Bonus...since its a bowl...it will be easier for me to clean outside in the frigid temps.

I have already gone through triple-digit summer days with them and they all survived all of the fanatical things I had to do so they wouldn't get heat stroke and now I'm battening down the hatches for the cruel winter that's approaching. Typical temps in the winter here can get to zero degrees and colder with wind chills that would freeze your fingers, toes, and ears off. All of my girls are both heat & cold tolerant but that doesn't mean they are heat & cold "proof".

BTW...I have no electricity out to my coop/run so we are trying an unconventional way of powering the bowl. We have on hand a Yeti1000 power pack that DH is going to be placing into a cooler. The Yeti1000 will generate a little heat which will keep it in its operational range. We also purchased the solar panel that compliments the power pack so that it will be on a constant recharge. Typically, we use the power pack when we go travel trailing but since over the winter, that's moot...we thought why not use it for the girls over winter. Don't know if it will be a successful endeavor but we will soon know. If it works, I think there will be a lot of people on this forum who don't have electricity in their coops/runs that may benefit from our rough science experiment:)

Nonetheless, I am still interested in hearing about experiences others have had with their heated waterers.

Thanks for the post!

Last edited:
I was thinking about purchasing the K&H heated waterer until I read the most common "con" was trying to clean the interior of the container.

I live in high desert conditions and with this being my first rodeo raising chickens, I decided to go with what a reviewer said regarding the K&H heated waterer...he said, "Just get a heated dog water bowl!" So, I did...it is specifically designed for large, outside dogs...and my DH has made a small table for it to sit on so the girls won't get the water too dirty. Bonus...since its a bowl...it will be easier for me to clean outside in the frigid temps.

I have already gone through triple-digit summer days with them and they all survived all of the fanatical things I had to do so they wouldn't get heat stroke and now I'm battening down the hatches for the cruel winter that's approaching. Typical temps in the winter here can get to zero degrees and colder with wind chills that would freeze your fingers, toes, and ears off. All of my girls are both heat & cold tolerant but that doesn't mean they are heat & cold "proof".

BTW...I have no electricity out to my coop/run so we are trying an unconventional way of powering the bowl. We have on hand a Yeti1000 power pack that DH is going to be placing into a cooler. The Yeti1000 will generate a little heat which will keep it in its operational range. We also purchased the solar panel that compliments the power pack so that it will be on a constant recharge. Typically, we use the power pack when we go travel trailing but since over the winter, that's moot...we thought why not use it for the girls over winter. Don't know if it will be a successful endeavor but we will soon know. If it works, I think there will be a lot of people on this forum who don't have electricity in their coops/runs that may benefit from our rough science experiment:)

Nonetheless, I am still interested in hearing about experiences others have had with their heated waterers.

Thanks for the post!
I also looked at the K&H heated waterer and passed for the same reason - hard to clean.
Boy- I'll take -20F over your triple digits any time. And none of that "it's a dry heat" stuff. I melt when temps break 90.

I grew up in NH and i would definitely invest in a heated waterer due to the temps you guys get. It would make life easier for you and your animals. Breaking ice in waterers every morning can be a pain.

I know there are several companies that make them, but Premier1 is a trusted brand and their products are built to last. The price is worth it for the products that they sell. They're durable and built to last.

I grew up in NH and i would definitely invest in a heated waterer due to the temps you guys get. It would make life easier for you and your animals. Breaking ice in waterers every morning can be a pain.

I know there are several companies that make them, but Premier1 is a trusted brand and their products are built to last. The price is worth it for the products that they sell. They're durable and built to last.
Thanks. Yup- NH white mtns- home to some of the worst weather on earth. And unless you've been in NH, no one knows about it! But I love that NH is a hidden gem. Thx again.

Thanks. Yup- NH white mtns- home to some of the worst weather on earth. And unless you've been in NH, no one knows about it! But I love that NH is a hidden gem. Thx again.
I miss seeing the fall foliage, it's breathtaking. I'm bound to come up there and be a leaf peeper one fall. Where I am now it's constantly hot, it's 80s-90s right now and the leaves turn brown and die. No foliage here at all.

How do your chickens do through the winter? Do they come out or are they in the coop most of the time?

I know ducks do really well in NH winters, but I haven't known many who have chickens.

Back
Top Bottom