Is it worth it..

They would be brassy back blue rosecombs. Four of them. One brassy back blue cockerel, one brassy back splash cockerel, one brassy back pullet, and one brassy back blue pullet.

$100 for each bird and $145 for shipping.

She's not NPIP tho. They are show birds.
Don't worry about NPIP, worry about how she takes care of and feeds her birds. NPIP is worthless because the flock test and form is good for a year. But wild birds, rodents, and even flies can infect your birds and the incubation period is only from a day to 10 days.

So, basically, you can get your flock tested free on Mar. 1, 2024, then have a rodent or a fly or a wild bird infect your flock on Mar. 2, 2024, collect eggs for hatching on, say, Mar. 15, 2024, and have every egg infected by "vertical transmission", then have some of the chicks survive, and be able to sell them as "NPIP TYPHOID AND PULLORUM FREE".....

You could sell Typhoid and Pullorum affected carriers for an entire year because that's how long your NPIP certified flock lasts. Sounds like BS doesn't it? Maybe because it is. It's not to protect the US from Typhoid or Pullorum. It's to have control of and know where chickens are being sold outside of the commercial industry. That's why NPIP people need your name and address if you buy from them. I'd stay as far away from NPIP flocks as possible. But, that's just me. :)

Don't worry about NPIP, worry about how she takes care of and feeds her birds. NPIP is worthless because the flock test and form is good for a year. But wild birds, rodents, and even flies can infect your birds and the incubation period is only from a day to 10 days.

So, basically, you can get your flock tested free on Mar. 1, 2024, then have a rodent or a fly or a wild bird infect your flock on Mar. 2, 2024, collect eggs for hatching on, say, Mar. 15, 2024, and have every egg infected by "vertical transmission", then have some of the chicks survive, and be able to sell them as "NPIP TYPHOID AND PULLORUM FREE".....

You could sell Typhoid and Pullorum affected carriers for an entire year because that's how long your NPIP certified flock lasts. Sounds like BS doesn't it? Maybe because it is. It's not to protect the US from Typhoid or Pullorum. It's to have control of and know where chickens are being sold outside of the commercial industry. That's why NPIP people need your name and address if you buy from them. I'd stay as far away from NPIP flocks as possible. But, that's just me. :)
You do realize if you’ve ever ordered chicks online or bought them in a feed store, you’ve bought from NPIP certified flocks, right? You are correct—any of these things can happen at any time. That’s why it’s always best for anyone to use proper quarantine practices when adding new birds to their flock(s) regardless of certification. While not a gold stamp, an NPIP cert is at least a good first step in identifying a good quality breeder when going into something blind—like having chicks shipped cross-country.

As for addresses, I’ve bought birds from a few local NPIP breeders, and they do not require your address. Chickens are not a regulated species. Captive-bred migratory waterfowl, which is one of my other habits, is a different story.

You do realize if you’ve ever ordered chicks online or bought them in a feed store, you’ve bought from NPIP certified flocks, right? You are correct—any of these things can happen at any time. That’s why it’s always best for anyone to use proper quarantine practices when adding new birds to their flock(s) regardless of certification. While not a gold stamp, an NPIP cert is at least a good first step in identifying a good quality breeder when going into something blind—like having chicks shipped cross-country.

As for addresses, I’ve bought birds from a few local NPIP breeders, and they do not require your address. Chickens are not a regulated species. Captive-bred migratory waterfowl, which is one of my other habits, is a different story

Yup, that's why you shouldn't buy chicks online or from feed stores.

NPIP uses title 9 of the Code of Regulations Part 145.
Under Description of Animal Identification and traceability processes it says fill out form VS Form 9-3 "Report of Sales of Hatching eggs, chicks, and poults.

VS Form 9-3 Step 6 and 8 of the instructions is

6. Purchaser: Enter information for purchaser. Name, Address, phone, email

8. Destination of Eggs, Chicks, and/or Poults: If the destination and the purchaser’s address are the
same, click on the box labeled “Same as Purchaser Address” and the information will auto populate. If
it is different, enter destination information. The address must be a physical location. The destination
address cannot be a PO Box.

What state were your local NPIP breeders in? They might be choosing to not record every transaction on purpose.

I have decided on not getting the birds.

I have also not had a reply from the other breeder.

It's going to be the hard way for me on this varietie of Rosecomb.
I know it's still a while, but I'd try contacting again in summer. That's when I had the most luck, since production was usually going and they'd had a chance to see how everyone had handled winter and started hatching. Fall is usually when culls are sold to make room for new grow outs over winter

Yup, that's why you shouldn't buy chicks online or from feed stores.

NPIP uses title 9 of the Code of Regulations Part 145.
Under Description of Animal Identification and traceability processes it says fill out form VS Form 9-3 "Report of Sales of Hatching eggs, chicks, and poults.

VS Form 9-3 Step 6 and 8 of the instructions is

6. Purchaser: Enter information for purchaser. Name, Address, phone, email

8. Destination of Eggs, Chicks, and/or Poults: If the destination and the purchaser’s address are the
same, click on the box labeled “Same as Purchaser Address” and the information will auto populate. If
it is different, enter destination information. The address must be a physical location. The destination
address cannot be a PO Box.

What state were your local NPIP breeders in? They might be choosing to not record every transaction on purpose.
9-3 is used to report interstate sales, which virtually all states require for poultry to be brought in from outside. In many states certification isn't even required for intrastate sales, although NPIP flocks are likely obliged to keep records of their sales. Whether they do or don't is up to them.

I shouldn't buy chicks online or from feed stores because why? The government might know my address?

We owe a lot to NPIP breeders. Without them, many heritage breeds would be lost. Avoiding them is based on the simple fact they are NPIP is foolish.

Last edited:
9-3 is used to report interstate sales, which virtually all states require for poultry to be brought in from outside. I shouldn't buy chicks online or from feed stores because why? The government might know your address?
Considering it's on your legal documents already... pretty sure the government already knows if they want to

9-3 is used to report interstate sales, which virtually all states require for poultry to be brought in from outside. In many states certification isn't even required for intrastate sales, although NPIP flocks are likely obliged to keep records of their sales. Whether they do or don't is up to them.

I shouldn't buy chicks online or from feed stores because why? The government might know my address?

We owe a lot to NPIP breeders. Without them, many heritage breeds would be lost. Avoiding them is based on the simple fact they are NPIP is foolish.

"The govt. already know everything we do and we have nothing to hide." That's fine. A lot of people say that, and as to why, is a different discussion. Do what you will and stay invincible as long as you can since your last teenage year.

But only 1 thing you said stands out to me. Many heritage breeds would be lost without NPIP breeders....

How many heritage breeds would be lost without NPIP?

And which ones?

And would it be foolish to immediately discard a non-NPIP breeder based on the simple fact they are non-NPIP?

When you say NPIP flocks are likey obliged to keep records of their sales, could you elaborate on that?

Back
Top Bottom