Is it worth the extra $$

Pics
Seems
Ummmm.... not fair, some people don’t have a choice. Your privilege is showing.
seems like if someone truly could not scrape up the difference in cost between organic and conventional feed, they wouldn’t need to ask the question in the first place.

In the US, conventional corn and soy production is heavily subsidized by the government; organic crops are not. That’s the reason for the difference in cost. Also why you can buy cheap sodas and fast food.

Buy whatever you want, but sniping at people’s “privilege” is disingenuous.

Seems

seems like if someone truly could not scrape up the difference in cost between organic and conventional feed, they wouldn’t need to ask the question in the first place.

In the US, conventional corn and soy production is heavily subsidized by the government; organic crops are not. That’s the reason for the difference in cost. Also why you can buy cheap sodas and fast food.

Buy whatever you want, but sniping at people’s “privilege” is disingenuous.

What I’m saying is accusing people of not caring about the environment and the planet just bc they don’t buy organic is unfair. Some people simply cannot afford it, no matter how much better it is. I understand that the poster I was responding to is right on how it would effectively solve a lot of issue in the long run; that I don’t disagree with. But if you can’t afford it, you can’t afford it. Some people keep chickens bc they need the eggs and meat for food and worrying about their diet is it unrealistic. That’s unfortunate, but more realistic than the idealism expressed. For some people it’s about survival. That’s all I’m saying.

. And then doused heavily in glyphosate to dry them out prior to harvesting!

It's this sort of thing that is just downright ridiculous and really needs to change. Supposedly it's only done in a very small percentage of crops, but you gotta wonder why this is allowed at all, ever! BTW glyphosate is not only found in conventional grain products, but in most organic grains as well.

Well once you hook a fish, it will swallow the hook, line, sinker, and pole if you give it enough time. People tend to exaggerate claims when they are trying to force an agenda. Oh just a teeny little embellishment won't hurt now will it? Technically it's not outright lying. But after the 54th iteration, the earth is square and it's YOUR fault you non organic buying pos!!! go jump into a pool full of glyosuffocate, which is what they baste the chicken in before KFC serves it to you, after they roast it in the plutonium ovens!!! Oh and they literally FLOOD it with dyhydrogen monoxide too before you even get it, that stuff can easily kill you know!

People love to throw names out there without numbers. Or numbers, without reference. Kind of like that cranberry scare back in the 70's, where they destroyed hundreds if not thousands of tons of them, before someone finally spilled the beans and said, oh but you'd need to eat a train car load a day for years to get enough of the chemical that causes cancer. But it sure made for one heck of a news headline now dint it?

Sadly you have very little real science anymore. Real science is when someone says, here's a grant of xx dollars. go find out how this or that works, or the truth of this or that. Instead, it's all agenda driven. Here's money PROVE this or that. Of course the researcher is not going to bite the hand feeding him and his family, so will twist, distort and cherry pick data to support the preconceived conclusion.

Is glyophospate poisonous, im sure it is, but just because one farmer may have abused it, does not mean they all do it. Saying so is just intellectually dishonest. Unless one can PROVE that they all do it, then... they don't. I grow crops, so technically I am a farmer, I don't use the stuff, so saying I abuse it, well, is a lie.

Dioxin is another one that they love to drag out the boogey man on you for too. Arsenic is another one, but it's naturally occurring, so, now what?

If you ask the chicken, I bet they will tell you watch out for them hoomans, THOSE things can be downright deadly!!

Aaron

Since glyophosphates were brought up. Here's a little education about them.
Seems they are not as persistent and horrid as some would like you to believe.

One can also google and find many reports citing pretty much the same thing from several entities. Many of them one would like to consider respectable. You can also find all kinds of horror stories too, typically they are also selling you something to 'save' you from it as well. Just saying...

https://forestinfo.ca/faqs/how-long...l-water-plants-and-sediments-after-treatment/

A lot of people would love to feed organic, but costs are too high. Congrats if you can afford it, but I can't. I go through a bag a feed every 12-14 days, organic costs $33 a bag in my area, I can't afford to pay 3x that a month.
I won't get into the certification, shipping, milling and bagging costs.
I'm my experience, organic stuff has more plastic packaging, I don't think that's helpful for the environment. Ie, fruits and veggies have special individual wrapping, like organic apples have their own bags and organic broccoli has a big plastic strap around it. not a pro or con, just observation.
I don't buy demor if I can help it, because it smells weird to me.
Like another poster said, you can raise something organically but unless you have the very expensive certifications, you can't sell it as such.
I've gotten in discussions on natural products and their pros and cons. 'Natural' isn't standardized by the fda, you could slap it on anything without any draw backs. Just because something is truly natural, means nothing. It doesn't make is more healthy or less processed.
Snake venom is organic, natural and free range.

I completely agree.Most people wouldn’t think about the extra plastic packaging. I try to buy more paper bagged feeds. They can be found but not easily. I reuse the plastic ones to store my bedding materials for chicken coop and worm beds.

I completely agree.Most people wouldn’t think about the extra plastic packaging. I try to buy more paper bagged feeds. They can be found but not easily. I reuse the plastic ones to store my bedding materials for chicken coop and worm beds.
I use my plastic ones as wind breaks. For the hitches and as next box lining under the shavings

Have never seen extra packaging in chicken feed or produce etc., but I but local produce. I can get three kinds of organic feed for $25 versus 16-18 for regular. I always wonder why people try to dissuade others from buying organic. To each his own.

Have never seen extra packaging in chicken feed or produce etc., but I but local produce. I can get three kinds of organic feed for $25 versus 16-18 for regular. I always wonder why people try to dissuade others from buying organic. To each his own.
I wasnt trying to persuade anyone one way or other. If it sounded that way it wasn’t my intention. My thought was mainly on packaging not organic or not. Maybe I wasn’t clear. I don’t buy organic asides from getting a bunch of bananas on accident. If that’s what you prefer that’s what I want you to buy.
I would also want everyone that have means to recycle or reuse as much as possible because if you don’t agree litter and pollution is a problem your just flat out wrong.

Back
Top Bottom