Is it worth the extra $$

I hate asking questions that probably been asked 100 times already, this is probably one of them, but I didn't find anything in my quick albeit noob search so here goes.

Layer Feed. Yes you can get the organic stuff for 40 dollars a bag, The regular Purina for about 16 a bag or the more Generic, like Dumor, for around 8 to 9 a bag. They all claim to be healthy, nutritious etc etc. They all claim to have the 16 percent protein, or whatever the number is etc etc etc.

I know, generally, as a rule of life, you get what you pay for, but WHY is one so horribly expensive, and the other appearing so dirt cheap, when up front they both appear they will be keeping the flock happy, healthy, and alive?

Yes, you are paying for a name here... Paying for 'organic' there, that part I get, but the rest of it.. what makes brand A so much better than Brand B? especially 10 dollars better?

Is there inherently something wrong with the cheap stuff that it will eventually do bad to the birds? Am I supposed to feel guilty even thinking of feeding my children the generic stuff? WHAT am I missing, that is making the 8 dollar stuff, the 8 dollar stuff? What do I need to watch out for when reading ingredients?

Thank you
Aaron
I think organic has less like ”gmo” or processed things and soy. I get orgsnuc and I’ve never had any health issues so it must be not bad

That article made me so happy, I ran out and ate a soy burger, now if you'll excuse me I have to cry.

IN all seriousness though, people love to twist numbers to make them look horrible without putting any framing on then. The lame stream losers do that every day now and the sheeple are so used to it, they just blindly gobble the goo that's shot down their throats on anything.

Look at the scare they did back in the 70's on cranberry's. Oh cranberries cause cancer !! they destroyed hundreds of tons of them in a stupid blind frenzy. Only it turns out that the chemical in them that caused the cancer, you'd have to eat like a train car load of cranberries every day for years to get enough to actually start to harm you, but we didn't quite put THAT little bit of info in the story did we, until we were shamed into it. Always do research on any claim.

Aaron

Look at the scare they did back in the 70's on cranberry's. Oh cranberries cause cancer !! they destroyed hundreds of tons of them in a stupid blind frenzy. Only it turns out that the chemical in them that caused the cancer, you'd have to eat like a train car load of cranberries every day for years to get enough to actually start to harm you, but we didn't quite put THAT little bit of info in the story did we, until we were shamed into it. Always do research on any claim.

Aaron
That was in 1959 BTW

I feed organic because I don't want Roundup in my hens and I'm p.o'd at the company that made these gmo foods just for the $$$ and to control a Large chunk of the farmers here in usa that grow our food.

I buy vegetables from 2 local farms by me who have taken the “farmers pledge”, meaning they engage in organic practices (crop covering w cloth, hoop tunnels, & other non-chemical solutions for pest control), but do not want to jump through hoops of getting organic certification. They offer seasonal produce year-round although their winter selection doesn’t include a few things we eat in the winter so I do have to shop at the grocery store for some produce from Dec-Apr. My backyard garden is now big enough that I’ll be eating what’s there and hopefully purchasing a few items from the farms every few weeks or so. I also grow/buy some items in bulk to preserve like tomato sauce, frozen pepper slices, etc.

We are not feeding the family farm chickens organic as we would have to charge about $7/dozen to cover just their feed. However I am adding a small flock to my yard just for my family and I am hoping to find a local feed producer who’s feed I am happy with. The local farm store only had medicated chick feed, layer feed, & game feed. No unmediated starter/grower or all-flock. The next local farm store I know of is 40 minutes away. I will be calling them soon to inquire about selection. I wouldn’t mind the drive once a month but obviously I would prefer something closer.

Last edited:
You see THAT is the huge problem with the whole organic scam.
In order to get their 'certification' you have to do a bunch of ridiculous crap, only buy stuff from their cronies selling it, (look at the dairy scam on this !!), etc, and then pay them a nice hefty fee to be able to put their little sticker on your products saying you are 'organic'.

A farmer can do this on his own, as just stated above, grow things ETHICALLY but NOT pay them the extortion fee for their little sticker, and give you a product that is just as safe, and just as nutritious, without feeding the propaganda machine with his very hard earned $$ More money stays with the people who really deserve it, the people who grew the food and did all the WORK, and less to the conglomerations spewing the scare propaganda to get you to feed them more money.

iluveggers ... yah that drive can be a task for sure! have you tried I guess you could call it, carpooling? oh I dont' know the proper term. but basically. Hey guys, Im heading to the feed store 40 minutes away, who needs what?? You make the one trip, everyone pays YOU for the effort, you bring the feed back to everyone, and next month, someone else goes, etc sort of thing. In the end ya'all get good food and it saved you some money in the long run. Also, talk to your local store, maybe they can get the stuff in for you that you want, and nobody really just asked them yet for it? You never know and it certainly can't hurt to try.

Aaron

You make the one trip, everyone pays YOU for the effort, you bring the feed back to everyone, and next month, someone else goes, etc sort of thing. In the end ya'all get good food and it saved you some money in the long run. Also, talk to your local store, maybe they can get the stuff in for you that you want, and nobody really just asked them yet for it? You never know and it certainly can't hurt to try.
Not a bad idea, Aaron.

We are fortunate to be in a town surrounded by tons of good farms, so i buy local grass fed beef, pastured pork and turkey, (not certified), and grown humanely. DH also hunts so venison is a help. I hate giving money to big producers so this is my way of helping the little guy. ❤️ Tastes way better too.

I think organic has less like ”gmo” or processed things and soy. I get orgsnuc and I’ve never had any health issues so it must be not bad
Organic feed has no poisons and no gmo ingredients. The organic feed is better for you’re chickens and for you’re health on the long turn. But it is not better for the amount of eggs.

If you feed you’re chickens with cheap feed they problably won’t get sick in the normal lifespan of a chicken. Which is only about 2 years.

Oh yes it does taste better and I always look to try to buy local, help the little guy when I can. On the organic thing, I sell coffee online and looked into that, what a bunch of bull ....
Ok so you are telling me that if I transport my beans in the same truck I transported non 'organic' coffee beans, they can no longer be called organic, because what? their bean buttholes touched through the burlap bag or something??? wth how stupid is that?? I can understand if I was breeding beans, and the possible dna crossing but to burn it at 450 degrees until it's charred enough to throw into boiling water and drink... oh yah that's going to contaminate something for sure!!! Pay big money for their little sticker, no thanks. The beans are the same quality and same flavor as when I bought them, whether I keep the certification or not... Ill NOT certify them so I can keep the costs lower for my customers.

Unfortunately, around me, we HAD a lot of farms and stuff but they are all being bought out, and flattened / scraped and %$%$#^ warehouses and housing units being built on them.. so a lot of the rural / country appeal is quickly going away.. and being replaced by Traffic WEEWEEeEEEeeee ... (sarcasm in case someone can't figure that out).

Venison is good... unLESS you get two bambi's the way I did last year....with the Chevy Silverado :( set off the airbags too :( 😠 But when you look at what some of these guys pay for their annual 'deer camp' passes, we break even, except I actually GOT deer last season :D :D :D

Fishing is the same thing, when I goto the fish market I always ask, what's local, who caught what recently, I want Mayport shrimp, not the imported crap.

I also roast my own coffee too, and sell it as well, so with that, I have quite a number of people who I trade with. Fresh coffee for Xxxxx. So yes the local thing, barter thing absolutely works great.

The rest of the country can blow up with this stupid supply chain garbage but for the most part, I can get pretty much everything I need in a 30 mile radius and pay for it with coffee :D

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom